Max RPM Tecumseh OHH 6.5

Old 09-06-08, 12:46 PM
Max RPM Tecumseh OHH 6.5

...Hey all!

Without removing the governor and changing some of the guts, what's a fair redline before she goes BOOM? ...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
1 rpm.

joking... Tecumsehs don't hold up well to overspeeding in my experience. They seem to have more trouble than most even keeping together at factory set rpm. There's no way of knowing what rpm will blow it... it might stand 7000 rpm for a second, but not for much more than that. It might stand 4500 rpm for a little while. If you don't want it blowing up anytime soon, don't over-rev it.

Old 09-07-08, 06:15 AM
1 rpm! Your a riot! LOL I keep reading and hearing about the almighty Honda Clone engine. What can you tell me about them? I'm thinking of one for my buggy. Are they just cheaper or what? I'm getting back into this stuff after some thirty years and I'm a little lost...

Old 09-07-08, 08:53 AM
I totally agree with Cheese. Tecumseh motors are not the best to hot rod up. Yeah, I'm sure there's a couple of guys out there running 'em at 4000 plus RPMs with no problems (so far!) but that ain't the norm. Personally I wouldn't want to run one much past 3400 RPM. They are supposed to handle 3600 RPM, but a little insurance is a good thing to have if you want long life from the motor. Can you compensate with gearing in your drive line?

Old 09-07-08, 04:00 PM
I'd rather not. Not yet anyway. I want to hear more about these clone engines and just jump up to a 8 or 9hp. If I go larger, I'll have to change out the torque converter and I just replaced the driver and driven...

Old 09-07-08, 06:42 PM
I think I saw a flyer where Harbor Freight(if you have one in your area) has an 11hp clone for $249 and a 13hp for $299. Have a good one. Geo

Old 09-07-08, 07:11 PM
...So my question is, is how good are these clones? How do they rate and compare to the real deal? Can you get parts for them? I know nothing about them. Please enlighten me...

Old 09-08-08, 12:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've heard complaints, but I haven't had much experience myself with them. The few that I've worked on didn't impress me as far as quality goes. Most of the stuff built in china is junk in my book. I'd rather have a used real honda from ebay than a brand new china clone honda.

Old 09-08-08, 08:27 AM
...Thanx. Now that's the answer I'm looking for. After seeing the prices for a new Honda, think I'll wait for a used one to come my way. Thanx again...