Honda mower runs for 20 to 30 seconds and then stops

Old 09-07-08, 10:10 AM
Honda mower runs for 20 to 30 seconds and then stops

I have a Honda HRT216SDA that I have been working on for a number of months. I have a little money invested (new carb and blades) and a lot of time. I have posted elesware and have checked a lot of things: air cleaner, carb and linkage, exaust, spark plug, fuel line...

What is driving me nuts is how well the mower runs, for 20 or 30 seconds. It is just like the fuel has been shut off but the carb bowl has gas in it. After sitting for a few minutes it will start again and run for the short time.

Thought I would try you guys.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-08, 10:40 AM
Have you replaced the spark with a new one? There are past posts referencing this. I just had one that I would have bet the farm was a carb issue as it had your exact symptoms. A new plug cured it. Also have you verified that you have continuous gas flow, also a symptom a gas cap not venting.

Old 09-07-08, 11:47 AM
Does sound like a fuel issue, but I would also try a new plug, just to be sure. Check the gaskets between the carburetor, insulator, heat shield and cylinder. If anyone is torn or hanging then you could be sucking air behind the carburetor and this could also cause this problem.

Old 09-08-08, 12:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the above posts don't provide the answer, get a spark plug wrench handy, put it in your pocket, and when the engine dies, immediately check for spark before it has time to cool and crank again.