Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sputtering Lawn Mower

VA

09-09-08, 06:49 AM   #1  
Sputtering Lawn Mower

My push mower continuously sputters when I start cutting my grass. I gets to the point where it will almost cut off. It only sputters while I'm actually pushing it. After 5 minutes or so it recovers and runs smoothly.

I have zero experience with engines of any type. My first thought was the spark plug or air filter. I got some junk off of the air filter (the grass really needed cutting, and I didn't want to take the time to clean it really good in soap and water). I'm not sure this helped any.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links

MO

09-09-08, 09:15 AM   #2  
Post the engine manufacturer and engine numbers usually found on the engine shroud just above the spark plug and someone will help you. Have a good one. Geo

TN

09-09-08, 12:17 PM   #3  
I'm no expert but more than likely you have a dirty carburetor. All you have to do is just clean it out with carb and choke cleaner.

TX

09-09-08, 06:27 PM   #4  
Like geo suggested post your info from your engine. We can send you on a wild goose chase without basic info on what kind of engine you have and the type of carburetor thats on it. It sounds like you may have a carburetor issue, but we can't really comment much on it without some additional information from you.

Search this Thread