Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Setting Timing

09-09-08, 07:11 AM   #1  
Setting Timing

Ok I wrote back in July an issue with a nova II on Tecumseh H30-35311M not having spark. Well I gave up on this nova II when I found on old engine at the dump with good stator, mag, points, and condensor. So I installed in the I have spark and it runs and starts on first pull.
Any way I would like to set the timing, but I don't have a dial meter. Can I just take the top of the engine off, turn the shaft until I get TDC then set the timing and replace the gasket?

Sponsored Links

MA

09-09-08, 08:22 AM   #2  
Wondering why you want to set the timing of it starts on 1st pull?

You did not psot engine numbers for your "new" engine you need to get BTDC setting, most likely .80 --if so you can remove head go to TDC and then set a nickel on the piston and turn flywheel counter clockwise til nickel is even with top of cylinder. This is very close to .80. Set timing and you should be good to go

09-10-08, 06:09 PM   #3  
I wanted to set the timing just because I eyeballed the position of the stator. I took it apart about 3 monthes. I just want to get it running its best. What I refered to as a "new" motor was not what I'm using. That was just an old parts motor someone thru out. I just took the stator, mag, etc... out of it and put it back at the dump.

MA

09-10-08, 06:25 PM   #4  
gotcha, good luck, pretty straight forward.

Search this Thread