Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Flat Rates on Repairs

NJ

09-09-08, 12:20 PM   #1  
Flat Rates on Repairs

Do any of you who are in business charge flat rates for certain repairs ? For example -- to sharpen a blade $xx.xx, to clean a carb $xx.xx etc. You input is appreciated. If you prefer to send me a private email with some of your flat rates -- please do.

Sponsored Links

MO

09-09-08, 08:53 PM   #2  
I charge a $65.00 flat rate for labor + parts. I repair small engines as a hobby, so people with riding mowers are always calling.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-10-08, 11:50 PM   #3  
I usually charge $5 per blade to sharpen. $45 for most common carb cleaning jobs. $55+parts for a general riding mower service, including oil change, checking belts, tire pressures, blades, general condition of mower, cleaning/replacing air filter, blowing off deck (unless it's really bad, then I charge more), and grease all fittings.

Most other things are done on an hourly basis.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NJ

09-12-08, 06:46 AM   #4  
Do you folks mark up parts ?? I work with a mid sized dealer in the area. I need to drive approx 20 miles to their place for parts. I was going to mark up parts 25% above what I pay to compensate for gas and my time picking them up. Does that sound reasonable.

Forum Topic Moderator

KS

09-13-08, 11:46 AM   #5  
One thing about marking up parts is you get into resale and tax issues depending on where you are.
I have the same scenario, I first ask the customer if they can carrier the part, its on their bill already and they know the exact amount and that the part was purchased. Lots of folks seem to be very willing to do this.
If I have to get the parts, I find out the exact amount and sometimes ask for them to prepay and some will phone in the payment.
For the service trip, figure out your expense for the time and trip, and charge a service fee for the errand from that.

Sides, mark up on a $2.00 spark plug aint gonna pay ya enuff to start up the car

Search this Thread