Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

JD Scotts L1742 riding mower ... dying??

09-09-08, 03:27 PM   #1  
riding mower chugging, popping and whining

John Deere L1742 rider B & S 17HP with 68 hrs. Started chugging suddenly..loud pop, pop, popping sound so loud it seemed like muffler was gone but it isn't...loss of almost all power to the wheels ...a little bit of smoke....AND STRANGEST OF ALL when I turned it off a loud whining noise continued until I disconnected the battery. When I touched the battery cable to the battery a minute later, starter kept kicking in so left it overnite.

Now when I start it there is no whining noise but all other symptoms are still there and when I shut it off the whining noise is back.

Any help or analysis will be appreciated. Please advise if you need further info. ...I fear its a goner.

Last edited by errsalot; 09-09-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: clarification

Sponsored Links

TX

09-09-08, 06:19 PM   #2  
You may have a bad ignition switch or a sticking starter solenoid causing the starter to stay engaged.

I think maybe you have a blown head gasket or something going on with your valves.

Was there oil in the engine?

09-09-08, 08:16 PM   #3  
Thanks for your reply. Mower had been running for 1/2hour before problems. Oil is OK and is still at "full" as it was before I began mowing.

Just curious..since it lost so much power instantly and is so noisy may I ask in your experience if a stuck solenoid or key switch often has these symptoms or do you think it is unusual?

Further for your info, reading the placard under the seat I see several maintenance issues that I should have done but hadn,t. For example the spark plug and fuel filter were not replaced this year or last. I'll certainly do it now, but could that play into it?

Is there a way to test the key switch and solenoid in place with a meter or something or should I remove and replace anyway?

Thanks again. This is a great site.

Last edited by errsalot; 09-09-08 at 08:25 PM. Reason: clarification

TX

09-10-08, 02:30 PM   #4  
The solenoid will have no effect on the power or way your engine runs, it can if sticking keep the starter motor engaged when the key is not in the "start" position. The key switch should spring back from the "start" position and into the "run" position by itself, if it does not some spary lubricant may take care of it.

Certainly try a new spark plug to see if that makes any difference. A dirty air filter can affect the power of an engine and cause spark plugs to fail.

Will the engine start and run at all??

09-11-08, 05:55 AM   #5  
thanx for your reply. Starts normally but runs rough with very little power to the wheels AND a loud popping noise. AFTER I turn off the key there is a high pitched whining noise .
I then have to disconnect the battery to stop whining noise.

TX

09-11-08, 06:29 PM   #6  
Have you checked the condition of your air filter and spark plug?

I am not sure what could be causing the whining noise, unless it may be one of the safety interlock relays, which could possibly have something to do the way the engine runs.

You could try disconnecting the kill switch lead from the engine to isolate and see if running improves any. You will have to hook the wire up to kill the engine if you do this.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-08, 12:49 AM   #7  
The whining noise is the starter running. Once the engine cranks up, it kicks the drive gear down and the starter just runs the whole time the engine is running (not a good thing at all). It sounds to me like you have a stuck solenoid and need to replace it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-12-08, 03:37 PM   #8  
Thank you mods for your replies and advice. I'll replace the solenoid to begin with and advise results asap. Thanx again.

Search this Thread