Briggs #281707 starting problems

Old 09-09-08, 05:59 PM
Briggs #281707 starting problems

The riding lawnmower has an optional electric start (which I used due to bad shoulder). It will not turn over but tries to. I was told to check underneath the shoud for anything abnormal. (Like I would know? ) I was looking for a bushing or the plastic fan piece to be worn or something. But then read online to maybe check fly wheel pin? I cannot get the fly wheel off. I removed the 2 13mm bolts on the top yet the shaft will not allow the plastic fan to be removed to look at the metal fly wheel. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-08, 06:07 PM
To remove the flywheel you will have to remove the nut holding the flywheel to the crankshaft, or if you have a recoil starter on your engine, the starter clutch will have to be removed. Then you can remove the flywheel to inspect the flywheel key.

I rarely see problems with the key on these engines, not that it could not be the problem. I would check the condition of the battery with a load test, and also check for dirty and or loose battery cable terminals. Make sure the ground cable to the chassis is clean and tight and that the engine has a good electrical ground to the chassis. The solenoid is another componet that can cause a starter not to work properly.

There is also the possiblility that the starter may be bad.

Old 09-09-08, 06:33 PM
Thank you Tech. I will start with your suggestions first. They seem more doable! And sound advice. Thanks again.

Old 09-09-08, 06:44 PM
Oh one more question. As I was disassembling the top of the motor, I pulled on a shaft that came off in my hand. Not sure if the bearings are suppose to be under it...or on the sides in the little nooks.

Old 09-09-08, 08:40 PM
Just a thought...I had a guy call me to fix his Snapper and he told me it tried to turn over. I found that he was not get spark. Make sure it's getting spark. Then, if not, pull the ground wire from the magneto. then check to see if it's getting spark. If it cranks, make sure you have something to pull the boot off, because you won't be able to kill the engine. you'll need a gear/flywheel puller to safely (not damage the flywheel)check the flywheel key. Good Luck!!

Old 09-10-08, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by boots11 View Post
Oh one more question. As I was disassembling the top of the motor, I pulled on a shaft that came off in my hand. Not sure if the bearings are suppose to be under it...or on the sides in the little nooks.
That sounds like the starter clutch, If the shaft has any corrosion or is very dirty, polish with some emery tape and lube with some WD40 or 3 in 1. remove all the steel balls and reinstall the shaft, then drop a ball in each of the channels reinstall the cap and your good to go. Be sure to put the screen and use the screws to hold every thing together.