9HP Vanguard on generator running problems

Old 09-09-08, 06:52 PM
9HP Vanguard on generator running problems

I have a 9HP vanguard on a generator. Model 185432 Type 0606E1 Code 99051049. The motor starts easy every time but does not run smooth in the run position. I have to put it between run and half choke to smooth it out. I changed the plug. Before that I had to run it on half choke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-08, 07:18 PM
You may have some dirt, or build up in your carburetor restricting the metering of fuel to your engine. I think you may need to service your carburetor, may need a little clean up to work properly.

Old 09-09-08, 07:30 PM
since most generators are gravity feed your fuel filter can cause problems with fuel delivery also, i would change that out and pull the drain plug in the float bowl to check for water in the fuel. be sure to use a clean glass or steel container to catch the fuel from the float bowl, any sediment or water can then be appraised. if sediment is in the fuel you are probably going to need to clean out your carb, i would first try spraying with berrymans carb cleaner, if that doesn't work you will have to remove the carb and clean more thoroughly

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 09-12-08, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the replies. You're right. You gotta know how it works to figure out why it wont. There's no fuel filter. Comes straight off the tank to carb. I did remove the plug, drain and fuel line from the carb and sprayed carb cleaner. It seemed to help a little but still don't run smooth unless it's between the run position and half-choke. At any rate I'm gonna have to make do now since we're in the path of Ike and expect to be without electricity for awhile. On top of that I work at one of the refineries and just don't have time to fool with it. Thanks again though.

Old 09-12-08, 06:48 PM
Good Luck with Ike, let us know if we can be of any more help..