Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs vanguard 18 not charge battery

IN

09-10-08, 06:43 PM   #1  
briggs vanguard 18 not charge battery

family ybsxs.5702vr
model 356777
type 0113.E1
code 03013011

2002 Simplicity Conquest.

I thought it was battery. Had it checked and was bad.
Replaced for free. 2 wks later, had battery light illuminate on dash. Put VOM on battery at battery with eng.
running...no increase volts when reving eng.
Not sure where the voltage reg. is at, but assuming is device directly below instruments. (thick red lead going directly to starter)
I am also not sure where the terminals are to get direct reading off of generator, which i also asume is buried under the eng. housing.

How can I determine what the culprit is?
I do not have a shop manual to figure this out.
Please lend a hand. Thx, Greg

Sponsored Links

TX

09-10-08, 08:07 PM   #2  
Voltage Regulator on side of engine should not be hard to find.

Look on the side of your engine for an epoxy filled aluminum box with 3 wires coming out of it, this is the voltage regulator. 2 of the wires will be yellow and one red. The two yellow wires will be plugged into 2 black wires coming out from the engine, and the red will plug into the wiring harness of your equipment.

To test the Alternator output, unplug the black from the yellow wires at the regulator connector. With the engine running approximately 3600 RPM's check the "AC" voltage at the connector with the Black wires, you should have around 30 volts. If that checks out, then the alternator is good.

Unplug the red wire coming out from the regulator, and plug the alternator back into the regulator, with the engine running, test from a good ground to the red lead coming out of the regulator, you should have 13 - 14 volts "DC", if not then the regulator is bad.

Hope this helps...

Search this Thread