Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

help - replaced riding mower engine w older one

09-12-08, 06:28 AM   #1  
help - replaced riding mower engine w older one

I replaced an engine on riding mower with another one. (Threw a rod) The original engine was a Brigs 10hp. I have a 12hp brigs given to me. But it is from an older mower. The 12hp engine only has two wires coming out of it. The 10hp had three. There is a seat kill switch on this mower, but the engine now going in it may not have had that system. How do I wire this up now? And what do I do with the yellow wire left over? Thanks

Sponsored Links

TX

09-12-08, 08:47 AM   #2  
If you can post the model type and code numbers off each engine we can determine what type of electrical system each of these engines have.

09-12-08, 09:04 AM   #3  
code numbers

10hp Briggs stratton (threw rod)
Model # 28R707
Code # 021125ze
Type 1120-E1

12hp Briggs
Mdel # 281707
Code # 90020711
Type 0415 - 01

Thanks

TX

09-12-08, 07:02 PM   #4  
What are the colors of the wires on each of the engines.

The ignition setup is pretty much the same on both engines, so the safety interlock setup will work with either engine, regardless of the number of wires there are.

Your old engine probably had a dual circuit alternator, one side was DC current and used to charge the battery, the other side was unregulated AC strictly used to power the lights on your mower. and the other wire was the kill switch lead that attached to your riders wiring harness.

Your new engine probably has a DC only alternator (should be a red wire) this will be for battery charging and will hook to the positive battery terminal either at the starter solenoid, battery, or ignition switch (Brand and Model of tractor will determine how this is wired). The other wire should be the kill switch lead and should hook up to the wiring harness.

Search this Thread