Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

McCulloch Chain Saw Will not start

ND

09-12-08, 07:13 AM   #1  
McCulloch Chain Saw Will not start

McCulloch Chain Saw Will not start.

It will run for few seconds if a little gas in poured into the carburetor. Fresh gas oil mixture was used.

I would like tell you the model # however I can not find anything on the machine other then the name. How does one determine which model # it is?

Here is a what I know about the machine
14 inch cutting bar
Eager Beaver

It looks similar to the link below.

http://www.shop.com/McCulloch_Chain_...60416-p!.shtml

I would like to dismantle the machine and clean out the spark arrestor and carburetor since these are the first thing usually recommended.

With the model # I would like to find a manual on how to disassemble it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

TX

09-12-08, 08:45 AM   #2  
I would take a look in the carburetor as this is the most likely culprit for the issue you describe. If your saw looks like the one pictured, then there should be 2 screws on each side of the cap just in front of the rear handle. Take the cap off and the carburetor should be directly underneath.

If you can get to the carburetor, post back and we can go further from there.

Best of Luck...

ND

09-12-08, 10:33 AM   #3  
Hi 30yearTech,

Thanks for the reply.
As they say a picture is worth a thousand word.

there should be 2 screws on each side of the cap
Are you talking about the idle and run which in the photo are at the 3 o'clock position?
If yes what about them?

Is there some way of determining what model this machine is?

TX

09-12-08, 11:48 AM   #4  
Yes indeed

The saw in these pictures is the same as a Mini Mac chainsaw, so disregard my previous instructions.

The engine has to come out of the case to access the carburetor on this model.

Remove the Bar and chain then on the front of the saw there are 2 screws that need to be removed. With these screws out you can remove the cover for the fuel/oil tank and the tank as well. Remove the spark plug and air filter cover, then 3 screws holding the engine to the case, 1 screw on the bottom, 1 on top just below the throttle trigger, and one inside rear of the air filter cavity. Look inside the front of the case where you removed the fuel/oil tank and you will see the throttle lever where it comes into the case from above, there is a small throttle linkage that needs to be unhooked from the trigger, then you can wiggle and work the engine out of the case. you may also need to disengage the fuel hose connector from the bottom of the case, it comes out with the engine.

Once you have the engine out, you will be able to get to the carburetor.

Best of Luck...

TX

05-24-09, 09:30 PM   #5  
Posted By: 30yearTech The saw in these pictures is the same as a Mini Mac chainsaw, so disregard my previous instructions.

The engine has to come out of the case to access the carburetor on this model.

Remove the Bar and chain then on the front of the saw there are 2 screws that need to be removed. With these screws out you can remove the cover for the fuel/oil tank and the tank as well. Remove the spark plug and air filter cover, then 3 screws holding the engine to the case, 1 screw on the bottom, 1 on top just below the throttle trigger, and one inside rear of the air filter cavity. Look inside the front of the case where you removed the fuel/oil tank and you will see the throttle lever where it comes into the case from above, there is a small throttle linkage that needs to be unhooked from the trigger, then you can wiggle and work the engine out of the case. you may also need to disengage the fuel hose connector from the bottom of the case, it comes out with the engine.

Once you have the engine out, you will be able to get to the carburetor.

Best of Luck...
Is there a parts diagram and service manual available for download.
I put mine into the shop, they said they put in a new ignition module.
ran a few times first year, now doesn't run, no spark.
I need to dismantle and diagnose the ignition.
thanks Ian.

TX

05-25-09, 07:50 AM   #6  
I don't know that my saw is the same as the pictures, I have a MCCULLOCH 110
Thanks

Search this Thread