Honda GX340 charging (not)

Old 09-12-08, 10:59 AM
Honda GX340 charging (not)

My Honda GX340 is not charging the battery and I think it's because I'm missing a part or 2.
The Honda manual shows a rectifier (w/2 wires) or a diode (w/1 wire) in the charging circuit, but it isn't clear as to where it goes.
I have 2 wires coming out from behind the pull-start shroud, one is white the other is a light gray. They terminate in a female plastic connector. Is this where the rectifier should hook into?
The manual has labeled these wires with a "G" which in other parts of the book means green and, as I said, mine are white and gray. I'm confused.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Darwell

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-08, 06:46 PM
Are you sure your engine is equipped with an alternator??

Old 09-13-08, 04:54 PM
Charging coil

That option was requested when it was purchased.
It has an electric start. Could it have come with electric start and no way to charge the battery?
BTW the manual calls what I'm looking at a "charging coil" so I guess the answer to your question would be no, it does not have an alternator.
Thanks for your response
Darwell

Old 09-13-08, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What wire(s) do you have connected to the battery to charge it? One of the wires you have coming from under the shroud should have 13-15 volts DC on it with the engine running if it has the charging system ready to connect to a power source. It has an alternator, otherwise known as a charging coil, etc...

Old 09-14-08, 01:59 PM
Hi Cheese
No voltage reading from any wires other than the battery cables. Ther is no increase at the battery with the engine running. I have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them.
Thanks
Darwell

Old 09-14-08, 02:42 PM
There should be a fuse in the control box (area where key switch is located) you may want to check and see if you can locate the fuse and make sure it's good.

Also if you can locate the spec numbers off your engine, they would be helpful in determining what type of charging system you may have.

Old 09-14-08, 06:05 PM
The fuse is good.
Here's the best I can do on the numbers (53 year old eyes)

GM (O or C) AM (Y or V) 025257
I can't tell for sure about the O&C or the Y&V

So I guess there is 4 possible combinations

GMOAMY025257 GMOAMV025257
GMCAMV025257 GMCAMY025257

The engine is mounted on a log splitter out in the boonies, otherwise I could drag someone with good eyes out to take a look
Thanks
Darwell

Old 09-14-08, 06:26 PM
I can't find any listing with any of combination of numbers you listed. In fact can't find anything that starts with "GM"

How old is the engine, if it's still under warranty, then your best bet may be to just let a warranty dealer have a look at it.