Honda HR173 Running Poorly and Shutting Off

Old 09-13-08, 07:15 AM
Sparkplug didn't fix it for me

Hi everyone. Amazingly I also have this problem with a Honda HR173 mower. It starts and then stops without spluttering in 10-30 secs. Occasionally it can be persuaded to run on the choke for a while before eventually cutting out, and at any point if you take it off the choke it stops immediately.

A week ago I discovered this thread and immediately ordered a new sparkplug but it hasn't made any difference at all. Today I removed and cleaned the carb, drained the fuel etc, reassembled, and still have the same problem.

I didn't unscrew the brass carb jet and I don't have a compressor but I guess that is the next thing to try - take it all apart again and try to clean it more thoroughly.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

Could it be that it is very sparkplug senstitive? Should I try buying a different make?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 08:16 AM
I moved your post to occupy a thread of its own.

You need to clean the carburetor more thoroughly. Aerosol carburetor should do the job. You can use strands of copper wire to clean orifices.

This document is not for the GV100 engine but it should help.
http://www.honda-engines-eu.com/en/images/59139.pdf

Good luck

Last edited by Airman; 09-13-08 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added information
Old 10-12-08, 09:25 AM
Solved it

And the solution is that the mixture was slightly too weak. I had noticed it hunting a bit before this problem but I assumed that was just because of old petrol. Anyway, a quick turn of the mixture screw (on this mower it is at the top and front of the carb with a spring on it) and it's back working like a dream. I guess after 20 years it must have worked its way loose slightly.

Hope this is useful to someone

J

Old 11-19-08, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by jonvaughan View Post
Hi everyone. Amazingly I also have this problem with a Honda HR173 mower. It starts and then stops without spluttering in 10-30 secs. Occasionally it can be persuaded to run on the choke for a while before eventually cutting out, and at any point if you take it off the choke it stops immediately.

Could it be that it is very sparkplug senstitive? Should I try buying a different make?
First post here...

My Honda HR173 just started similar symptoms.
It will start with the choke on, but runs very fast! Faster than previous choke starts.
Once started, it will only idle or run barely above idle.
Any higher and it dies.
New spark plug has no effect.
edit >I removed the float bowl, it was clear and seemed to work properly<
The control cable is probably stretched to its max, as it is near the end of the adjustment threads.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Last edited by Rusty; 11-19-08 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Tried more stuff.
Old 11-19-08, 11:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning.

Old 11-21-08, 03:44 PM
Forehead slappin' fix.

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning.
So now I got this really clean carb. and a new spark plug, but it still runs crappy. So I get down really close and watch as it's rattling around and I'd swear I see the carb move! No way!

Fumble around a little and the carb slides out on the studs. Now there's a gap. That may explain things.

Put on the sleeves and tighten the nuts nuts and the mower is fixed!

All this because the air cleaner was loose.
Turns out the whole affair is held on with two 8mm nuts.
The third one has to decide when and how to turn the first two.

Old 04-22-11, 04:14 AM
Thumbs up Starting & Stuttering Honda HR173

Like most I first read all the contributions on this - looking for the simple no cost things to try first. Your combined help was fabulous and worked straight off.
I first removed the air filter and gave the black cover a good clean with a paintbrush, and got a small hover to take away the local debris. Then put it back and tried starting it - just as bad. Then I noted the exact position of the fuel mix control screw, that another contributor had mentioned. Then I turned it first one way about a quarter of a turn then the other by half a turn then back to where it was originally. I then started the motor and it now runs perfectly. It probably would have worked without the filter clean but it certainly needed that from the dirt it had collected over 19 years!

Old 04-26-11, 05:10 AM
Is there a Carburetor Check Sheet for the GV100?
If not, are there simple step-by-step instructions for removal, cleaning and refitting an HR173 carb anywhere?