Wiring a riding mower to start

Old 09-13-08, 02:35 PM
Wiring a riding mower to start

Can someone post a pic of wiring diagram to starting a riding mower without haveing any sensors keep mower from starting or haveing to have brake pressed to start mower? I check all these before i start mower but just want to get it going. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are a zillion different configurations of mower electrical systems, and to my knowledge, no wiring diagrams are made for any of them to show how to run with no safety devices (for obvious reasons).

Generally, you'd switch power to the solenoid to crank the engine, and ground the kill wire to shut it off.

Old 09-15-08, 04:21 PM
ok.. this black wire that runs from the the positive side on the solenoid from positive on battery runs to a local mounted volt indication on mower.. That needle never moves... Im going to runs these wires straight.. Also what is this little box that is mounted to the side of the engine? i have a red wire from keyswitch that runs to that box then it has a yellow wire that runs out of box and turns in to a black wire out of the box then runs toward engine but not sure what it goes into.. Im just looking to bypass the seat switch, oil sensor, and the bogus sensors keeping the keyswitch from starting engine.. thanks

is this still the same wiring you suggested cheese? Can i still do this using the keyswitch? do i just unplug all the wires?

Old 09-15-08, 07:53 PM
tae
You think a safety switch is keeping it from starting? Why not track it down to which switch and replace it?

Old 09-16-08, 08:17 AM
well the only way ive known to track down a bad switch is by hooking up my car to a meter which i dont have nor do i think there is one for a riding mower.. I dont know how else to test for bad switches.. Do you?

If my volt regulator is bad on engine should i be able to test that by hooking up a volt meter at the wiring that hooks up to the battery terminals? or where do i test to see if its still producing electricity?

Old 09-16-08, 09:21 AM
Test the voltage at the battery and see what you get, then start and run the engine, if the battery is charging you should see an increase in the voltage reading at the battery (usually 13-14 volts).

All you need to test safety switches is a continuity tester. Follow the wire from the ignition switch that has power in the start position down through the safety switches and back to the starter solenoid. To bypass, just run a wire from the wire this wire at the ignition switch directly to the terminal on the side of the solenoid that operates the solenoid.

Old 09-16-08, 10:32 AM
ok.. thinking back at things ive done to mower.. Mower is a pain in the butt to start. I have to crank the engine by jumping lawnmower battery with pickup battery because mower will not start from keyswitch so i have to jump terminals on solenoid. Will jumping the terminals on solenoid take more juice than turning keyswitch or is it basically the same thing? Because when i jump across the terminals on solenoid it drains the brand new lawn mower battery pretty quick therefore i have to have the battery jumped with pickup battery. Would this info prove the volt regulator is screwed or not enough evidence?

Old 09-16-08, 12:22 PM
No, it should not make any difference on the battery drain. If you have to jump start the engine, then your battery may not be holding a charge good. Activating the solenoid basically does the same thing as jumping it externally.

Old 06-15-11, 10:00 AM
No Start/Crank/Run

I bought a used Dixon 428 12 hp riding mower. It would crank & run when I got it, but not very well. It's hard to get it to crank and is getting harder. The previous owner tried to re-wire it and now it's all messed up. Does anyone have a wiring schematic for this mower? Any help?? Thanks, Phil

Old 06-16-11, 10:07 PM
I don't know what, but there is more then charging on your mower. My snapper mower hasn't charged in about three years, and it runs just find. I just plug in my motorcycle charger once a month or so over night when the battery starts getting low, and it is good to go.