weed eater featherlite starting problems

Old 09-13-08, 06:43 PM
weed eater featherlite starting problems

Hi, I bought an used featherlite weed eater, about a month ago in a pawn shop, it didn't had any gas, so they couldn't test it, I took the risk and bought anyway, it cost me 20 dollars (very cheap) I bought the gasoline and the aditive is a TRUPER 2 times engine oil, at first it didn't started, so I took out the spark plug and clean it, then it started, I used it for about 20 minutes and then it choked, it was very warm, I try to start it again, but it didn't, I left it to cool off for about 15 minutes, then started again, but this time lasted less time then before, and again got hot and didn't started, at first I thought that was because the spark plug got real dirty, I cleaned it again but it didn't work, then I decide to take everything apart and clean it, I clean everything, and put it all back together just the way it was, and it allmost started but now but it just chokes, can anyone help me, I've used several electric weedwackers but they didn't last long, it's the first time I use and buy a gasoline weedeater and when I used it was great, the only physical problem was that a day after my arm and shoulder hurt a lot, I guess I'm not used to use this kind of machine, I'll apreciate any help that u can give me, thanks a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 07:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The pawn shop won't let you return it? It's kind of hard to tell what's wrong by your description. One of the most common problems on cheap trimmers is fuel lines. They deteriorate and leak air. I wouldn't put much effort into fixing that trimmer, since you can buy them new for $60. I guess you could remove the muffler and inspect the cylinder and piston, and if they're good, then replace the fuel lines, disassemble and clean the carb, and replace the primer if it shows signs of cracks.

Old 09-13-08, 07:55 PM
I can't return it to the pawn shop, since they lower it from the original price, 30 dls because they couldn't test it, the other 10 dls where for me to fix it if it had a failure, I allready check everything and clean everything, I haven't change the spark plug for a new one, I've only cleaned it, the fuel lines are ok, it pumps gas ok, the only thing I noticed is that the ring of the piston whas open or cracked, I don't know if thats normal, and for the mufller it was really messy, besides that everything was cleaned.

Old 09-13-08, 08:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The ring was cracked? Were there any scratches on the piston or cylinder?

Old 09-13-08, 08:23 PM
yes, on both, the ring is open exactly where there like a small metalic ball, and on the ring there is a half circle a little bigger than the metalic ball, if its not intentionally, I think it cracked when it got really hot, I'm not an expert but thats what happens on cars motors.

Old 09-14-08, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It's not cracked....that's where the ring ends are. It's made that way. You say the piston and cylinder are scratched up? If so, I'd think this engine is done in.

Old 09-14-08, 04:42 PM
Well, the damn thing worked today for a while, when it got hot it choked, I started it a few times more, but later couldn't make it start, I'm thinking on buying a new spark plug, hopefuly it'll work better, thanks anyway.

Search this Thread