Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda blade engagement problem

09-13-08, 09:53 AM   #1  
Posted By: p4oo2 OK, the new plug did it! The mower runs and does not quit. Thanks again for all the input.
You guys solved one problem for me and you can bet I would get a new one. The Honda has a lever to disengage the blade while the mower is started. With the blade disabled the engine runs fine at all speeds but as soon as I engage the blade the mower quits (stalls). Any ideas for me to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-13-08, 08:08 PM   #2  
I moved this to a new post instead of tagged along on a 2 page thread of a different topic.

I'd say start with the easy stuff and have a look under the deck. Is the blade jammed against something, or is it able to turn freely?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

09-14-08, 07:13 AM   #3  
Let the engine warm up real good before you engage the blade, also try putting the throttle control in a partial choke postition to see if the blade will engage and the engine continue to run. If this works, then the problem lies in your carburetor or possible the age of your fuel.

09-14-08, 08:56 AM   #4  
Posted By: 30yearTech Let the engine warm up real good before you engage the blade, also try putting the throttle control in a partial choke postition to see if the blade will engage and the engine continue to run. If this works, then the problem lies in your carburetor or possible the age of your fuel.
Not to bring the two pages back but the problem when the mower would run for 20 30 seconds, ran with the blade engaged. I could cut a 10 to 20 foot strip of grass. To try to see what was going on I ran the engine with the blade disengaged and found that the 20 to 30 second run time repeated. The new plug allowed the mower to run fine "with the blade disengaged" but now it quits and will not cut grass.

(in case one does not want to go to the two page post)

09-14-08, 09:02 AM   #5  
Posted By: cheese I moved this to a new post instead of tagged along on a 2 page thread of a different topic.

I'd say start with the easy stuff and have a look under the deck. Is the blade jammed against something, or is it able to turn freely?
The blade is not jammed so that is not my problem. The clutch on the rear wheel drive is free. (added words to get to your 25 word minimum")

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-14-08, 09:41 AM   #6  
Yeah, the 25 word minimum irritates me too...

I'm thinking 30Yeartech is on the right track...you probably have carburetor problems. Take the carb bowl off and see if there is water and/or trash or varnish in it.

I understand why you posted in the other thread. No problem with it other than the fact that it gets difficult to keep track of each individual's problem when they are all mixed up into one huge thread.

God bless!

09-17-08, 08:41 AM   #7  
Posted By: 30yearTech Let the engine warm up real good before you engage the blade, also try putting the throttle control in a partial choke postition to see if the blade will engage and the engine continue to run. If this works, then the problem lies in your carburetor or possible the age of your fuel.
I let the mower run (blade disendaged) for 3 or 4 minutes and the mower still stalled when I egaged the blade.

New info: While I waited for the mower to warm up, I noticed some movement of the grass near the sides of the mower (wind). I lifted the rear wheels off the ground and engaged the drive clutch. The rear wheels turned!(with the blade disengaged). So the blade does turn ok. I guess the lever that is held to start the mower does not "completely" disengage the blade.

TX

09-17-08, 06:57 PM   #8  
Posted By: p4oo2 I let the mower run (blade disendaged) for 3 or 4 minutes and the mower still stalled when I egaged the blade.

New info: While I waited for the mower to warm up, I noticed some movement of the grass near the sides of the mower (wind). I lifted the rear wheels off the ground and engaged the drive clutch. The rear wheels turned!(with the blade disengaged). So the blade does turn ok. I guess the lever that is held to start the mower does not "completely" disengage the blade.
Alright, now I'm a little confused!
What is the model and serial number of your mower?
Are you sure you have a blade clutch?
The blade clutch and self propel drive work independently of each other. The blade does not have to be engaged in order for the drive to work.

09-18-08, 06:52 AM   #9  
Posted By: 30yearTech Alright, now I'm a little confused!
What is the model and serial number of your mower?
Are you sure you have a blade clutch?
The blade clutch and self propel drive work independently of each other. The blade does not have to be engaged in order for the drive to work.
It is a HRT216SDA. The drive to the rear wheels is a belt from the blade shaft so the blade has to be turning to drive the mower.

TX

09-18-08, 10:29 AM   #10  
Posted By: p4oo2 It is a HRT216SDA. The drive to the rear wheels is a belt from the blade shaft so the blade has to be turning to drive the mower.

Correct! The blade has to be turning in order for the transmission to drive the mower. Your model has no blade clutch, if the engine is running the blade is turning!

If the engine is stalling when the self propel is engaged, there may be a problem with the transmission, perhaps it is locked up internally.

Can you pull the mower backwards without the drive wheels locking up and sliding??

If when you relase the handle that is held when starting the mower, the engine dies.... It's supposed to.

09-19-08, 12:11 PM   #11  
Posted By: 30yearTech Correct! The blade has to be turning in order for the transmission to drive the mower. Your model has no blade clutch, if the engine is running the blade is turning!

If the engine is stalling when the self propel is engaged, there may be a problem with the transmission, perhaps it is locked up internally.

Can you pull the mower backwards without the drive wheels locking up and sliding??

If when you relase the handle that is held when starting the mower, the engine dies.... It's supposed to.
What I have been calling "engaging the blade" is actually disengaging the clutch to the rear wheels.

When I pull the mower backwards the rear wheels do lock up and slide. What does this indicate?

TX

09-19-08, 08:24 PM   #12  
There are ratchet drives in each wheel, they allow the mower to roll forward, but engage the transmission when you pull back. If the wheels will not turn the transmission, there is a good possibility that the transmission is siezed internally.

09-20-08, 12:17 PM   #13  
Posted By: 30yearTech There are ratchet drives in each wheel, they allow the mower to roll forward, but engage the transmission when you pull back. If the wheels will not turn the transmission, there is a good possibility that the transmission is siezed internally.
The transmission is not siezed, since the mower will move for 10 or 20 feet and then the rear wheel drive will stop. The cable going to the tran does not have a lot of play. Just a little pressure will start the drive but it stops again after a minute or two.

I do not know if the belt is slipping or the tran pulley is running free. I am not apout to tilt the mower to see what is going on. If the belt is slipping I would think I would hear it or smell burning rubber.

If I take the tran appart (four screws in cover) can I fix this?

By the way, if (when) you have had enough of my problems, say so and I will go away.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-20-08, 08:32 PM   #14  
When the drive wheels stop, will they go back to spinning if you lift them off the ground a little? (By the handlebar, of course).

God bless!

09-22-08, 10:07 AM   #15  
Posted By: cheese When the drive wheels stop, will they go back to spinning if you lift them off the ground a little? (By the handlebar, of course).
Nope, When the mower stops moving I pick the wheels off the groung and they do not start to turn. If I push the mower (turning the rear wheels) and then pick up the wheels again they still do not turn.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-22-08, 08:28 PM   #16  
Gain access to the belt and check the play in it. I think the belt may just be slipping. It may be a good idea to just take each wheel off, clean and lube all the clutch parts for each driven wheel, replace the belt, and see if that does it. This is regular maintenance anyway and yours is probably due for it from the sound of it.

God bless!

09-23-08, 10:11 AM   #17  
Posted By: cheese Gain access to the belt and check the play in it. I think the belt may just be slipping. It may be a good idea to just take each wheel off, clean and lube all the clutch parts for each driven wheel, replace the belt, and see if that does it. This is regular maintenance anyway and yours is probably due for it from the sound of it.
The belt is not getting hot so I do not think it is slipping. I took the two rear wheels off and cleaned and lube them.

Same problem. If I pull the clutch handel off and on I can get the wheel to jump and try to turn.

This has to be in the transmission or the clutch lever. I took the lid of the traney gear box off and did not see any obvious broken parts. Packed it with more new grease and put it back together.

Same story. The parts supplier I looh to only sells the complete transmission assembley. Anywher I can see what the internal parts look like?

TX

09-23-08, 04:01 PM   #18  
Many of the transmissions used on Honda mowers are not repairable (or should I say don't have parts available), you will likely have to replace the entire unit to fix your problem if any parts are needed.

Search this Thread