Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Low Voltage on Companion Generator

MI

09-14-08, 06:13 AM   #1  
Low Voltage on Companion Generator

I have a 10 year old (Sears) Companion Generator, 5250 watts, 10 hp Tecumseh engine. It has served me well and I always meter the power output. It was used this spring and not metered, but this past weekend I fired it up and the voltage was very low, 90 volts.

I just did a tune up on the engine, new plug, new fuel filter, air filter clean, carb cleaned, fuel tank emptied, removed and cleaned, and changed the oil!

Now I am at 95 volts.

Assuming nothing went wrong with the engine (it seems to run the same as always) is there a way for an end user like me to re-tap the generator or buy a tune up kit for the generator (I've seen bushing kits for other manf)?

Any ideas at all?

Thank you!

Dave

See also this post: http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...00#post1429700

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-14-08, 09:41 PM   #2  
It could just be that the engine rpm is not quite as high as it used to be... Rev it a little and see if the voltage comes up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MI

09-20-08, 04:20 PM   #3  
Can you suggest which screw I am adjusting to adjust rpms?

I also saw your post about running an analog clock to check Hz

CO

09-20-08, 07:06 PM   #4  
Adj

You should get a tachometer and a volt meter to make the adjustment tightening nut "B" will increase RPM You don't want to touch "A". With no load the correct RPM is 3750 to compensate for voltage drop when you apply a load. The Hertz would be 62 at no load.

AJ

Search this Thread