chain gear

Old 09-14-08, 04:23 PM
cf1
chain gear

I have a husqavarna 455 chain saw and need to replace the gear that drives the chain.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-08, 05:24 PM
Depending on your specific set up, you may be able to replace just the sprocket if it's a "rim" type or the clutch drum assembly if it's a "spur" type drive sprocket. You also need to know what pitch chain is installed on your chain saw, it can be 3/8 pitch chain or .325 pitch chain.

If the drive sprocket has considerable wear, then it's recommended to replace the bar and chain as well all at the same time, so the new component will not be destroyed by a worn chain or bar sprocket.

Old 09-15-08, 08:29 AM
cf1
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Depending on your specific set up, you may be able to replace just the sprocket if it's a "rim" type or the clutch drum assembly if it's a "spur" type drive sprocket. You also need to know what pitch chain is installed on your chain saw, it can be 3/8 pitch chain or .325 pitch chain.

If the drive sprocket has considerable wear, then it's recommended to replace the bar and chain as well all at the same time, so the new component will not be destroyed by a worn chain or bar sprocket.
Its a 3/8 pitch, I know because thats the chain I would by. My question I hold the nut on the rope side with a socket, and theres no way og grabing it to turn it off. Its has an arrow showing what way to turn. Is there a special tool to remove this gear? thanks

Old 09-15-08, 07:03 PM
Husky

Yes there is a special tool to remove the clutch and one to stop the crank shaft from turning. You can't use the nut on the flywheel to do this. You can use some starter rope in the spark plug hole to stop the crank shaft you need to be careful not to let the rope go into the exhaust port. A tool can be made by grinding an old socket to fit the clutch.

You would need one with 2 pins not 3 as in the picture.

Any Husky dealer will have this tool

AJ

Old 09-15-08, 10:19 PM
cf1
Originally Posted by aj-allen View Post
Yes there is a special tool to remove the clutch and one to stop the crank shaft from turning. You can't use the nut on the flywheel to do this. You can use some starter rope in the spark plug hole to stop the crank shaft you need to be careful not to let the rope go into the exhaust port. A tool can be made by grinding an old socket to fit the clutch.

You would need one with 2 pins not 3 as in the picture.

Any Husky dealer will have this tool

AJ
Thanks for the info. I called the repair shop and they said for $35.00 including the gear and labor.. I will let them do it, I dont want to screw something up..

Search this Thread