Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray Lawn Tractor

09-16-08, 05:01 AM   #1  
Murray Lawn Tractor

I have a mid 90s model Murray lawn tractor (#42813A). The tractor ran fine till the motion belt snapped. I replaced the belt using the exact size along with the manufacturer's part number (#37X61) from the manual. After installation, I went to push down the clutch to start it and it was very stiff. Anyhow, I pushed hard and was able to start it and put it into gear. That lasted for about 10 seconds then it shut down. Then you can smell burning rubber. I rechecked the belt to make sure it was looped correctly and it was, just as the manual pictured it. Any ideas to why it won't start now and why the clutch is so stiff?

Sponsored Links

TX

09-16-08, 06:52 AM   #2  
Either the belt is not the correct one, or it is not routed correctly. Make sure the belt is on the correct side of the idler's that apply tension and that the belt is behind all the belt guides.

Last edited by 30yearTech; 09-16-08 at 09:12 AM. Reason: wording

09-16-08, 07:14 AM   #3  
Murray Lawn Tractor

Thanks. I verified the belt was the same as the one being replaced by lining them up together. I checked and the belts are on the correct side of the guides. But standing in front of the tractor, I have the belt going on the left side of the idler pulley, then turning right to wrap around the rear pulley. So I should have the belt on the right side of the pulley?

TX

09-16-08, 09:02 AM   #4  
Looking at the diagram, if your describing the installation of the belt as if you were looking at it standing in front of the mower. It appears that the belt should be to the right of the idler with the belt going to the left side of the transmission pulley.

http://www.imower.com/images/42813A_DR.jpg

09-16-08, 09:07 AM   #5  
I have it reversed. Thanks for the help. I'll try redirecting it tonight. I hope this is the reason why it won't start (since the clutch won't go to the floor).

Search this Thread