No juice!! Stumped

Old 09-16-08, 11:17 AM
No juice!! Stumped

I had to replace the fuel silonoid ( it screws in the bottom of my carburetor bowl) on my Craftsman riding mower. Now it wont start ? I hooked everything back up the same way it came off but seems there it is not getting any juice from the battery to make it work properly. I have a new battery, checked my fuse, gets plenty of fuel in the bowl, everything I can think of. Nothing helps !!! Any ideas ?? Thanks !!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-08, 12:23 PM
Model number of your mower and engine would be helpful

Old 09-17-08, 12:52 PM
Thanks (no juice)

Model # 28n707.......Type 0173-01...... Code 96100320.....15.5 HP Craftsman riding mower. Silonoid is not suppling fuel to carburetor, plenty of gas in the bowl. I installed a new battery, fuse, starter silonoid and fuel silonoid. Thanks for your help !!!

Old 09-17-08, 06:39 PM
How have you determined that there is no power to the solenoid?

Test for power at the plug, if you have power at the plug, then remove the solenoid from the carburetor and plug it in and turn the key on and see if it works, could be a problem with the solenoid although rare.

If no power to the plug, then trace wire back to switch, look for any breaks in the wire, or possibly a problem with the key switch.

Old 09-17-08, 08:33 PM
Stumped

Thanks, Fire is getting to plug. Took out the new fuel solenoid to observe what happened when the engine was turened over but solenoid does nothing. All conections are secure. The wires are brand new. I figured out it wasen't getting any juice by making the old solenoid stick in the open position (down). The motor would start right up but would flood itself out and die. My neighbor is good with this stuff and he is stumoed also.

Old 09-17-08, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does the solenoid move when you turn the key on and off?

If the solenoid was stuck open, it would not cause flooding, or any other running problems.

Old 09-18-08, 06:51 AM
Test the new solenoid with a jump wire from the battery to see if it works. Cheese is right, the solenoid won't prevent a carburetor from flooding, it's there to help with afterfire in the muffler when the engine is shut down.

Old 09-18-08, 09:51 AM
stumped

How do I do that test wire from the battery ? The new solenoid did nothing when the motor was turning over. Why does it start right up using the new wires and old solenoid by making the old solenoid "stick" in the down position? If I just hook them as they should be, (normal using either solenoid) it wont start.

Old 09-18-08, 10:18 AM
When power is applied to the solenoid, the needle is drawn down, when power is removed the needle springs back up. When the needle is up, it blocks off fuel from entering the main jet of the carburetor and this prevents the engine from running. If you can stick the needle in the down position, then the main jet in the carburetor is open and fuel will be drawn into the engine, and of course the engine will run.

How did you test for 12 volts at the solenoid plug??

Old 09-18-08, 12:24 PM
stumped

As I mentioned, I did make the old solenoid "stick" in the down position and installed it just to see if it would start. The motor starts right up but runs rough and dies like its flooding itself out. I havent tested the solenoid for 12 volts. Is that all a solenoid does is move down when the engine starts and goes back up when the engine is turned off ?? It does not in any way regulate the amount of gas the carbuertor gets ?? I want it to operate as it should but if not,Any way to do with out it all together ??

Old 09-18-08, 05:15 PM
That is all it does, has nothing to do with metering fuel to the engine.

It does not need to be there for the engine to run, however with it gone, you may get a loud "bang" when you turn your engine off after it's been running awhile.

You can substitute Briggs Part # 691657 for the solenoid. The screw for the float bowl costs around $3.00.

Old 09-18-08, 05:59 PM
stumped

So that part # you gave is the screw that will hold the fuel bowl on?

Old 09-18-08, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by gqlefty View Post
So that part # you gave is the screw that will hold the fuel bowl on?
Yes, it's just a small cap head screw to hold the float bowl on.

Old 09-19-08, 06:30 PM
Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had an old push mower and I thought.... maybe the fuel bowl screw on it would work on my riding mower's bowl? It was a little long but with a couple washers to shorten it up I tried it and it worked!!! Thanks so much for your help... I will use it this way for now until I can figure out why the fuel sol. wont work. Still stumped about that !!!!

Old 09-19-08, 08:11 PM
When you decide to try and get the solenoid to work, you should trace the power to the solenoid from the ignition switch down to the solenoid. There has to be some interruption in the wire or in the key switch.