Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor stalled out and won't start

NJ

09-17-08, 10:59 AM   #1  
Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor stalled out and won't start

I've got a 1993 Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor that just conked out on me this past weekend. I had stopped mowing to pick up some branches and when I went to put it back in gear and re-engage the mower blade, it stalled out. There were no loud noises, telltale puffs of smoke, or other indications there was trouble. At several intervals over the next few hours, I tried to restart it and the engine (Briggs and Stratton 12.5HP) would "crank" but not turn over. Each restart, I would hear a very, very faint pop, the engine would "crank", and I would shortly begin to smell the aroma of gasoline as if the machine was flooding. About a year ago, after I had the transaxle replaced, the mechanics told me that the amount of engine vibration they were seeing was not a good sign but if I kept up the maintenance, it might last quite a while. Was this possibly the end of the line for this engine or is this indicative of another fixable problem? If fixable, any hints on how would I troubleshoot this situation to locate the problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links

TX

09-17-08, 06:42 PM   #2  
It really sounds as if you simply have a fouled spark plug. I would replace the plug and see what happens. If it starts and runs then I would look at the air filter to see if it's very dirty and needs replacing.

If a new plug is no help, then I would test for ignition spark, possibly a faulty ignition module.

Best of Luck...

Search this Thread