Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Briggs & Stratton riding lawnmower problems

IL

09-18-08, 06:24 PM   #1  
Briggs & Stratton riding lawnmower problems

Hello,

I have an MTD B&S 12 H.P riding lawn mower engine model 281707 and I am having problems with the blades. When I drive the tractor it works great but, as soon as I turn on the blades, the engine almost shuts off. Also, the problem only occurs when the lawn mower is in motion, if I am at a complete stop with the blades on it works fine but then if I start to move it tries to turn off again. Another thing is that it vibrates a lot, as if it is not balanced. Since the blades do need replacement I am going to change them but some how I doubt that is the problem. Any suggestions or tips on how to fix it would be great.

-Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-19-08, 12:00 AM   #2  
Sounds like you may have a problem with the clutch or blade safety switch. Can you let off the clutch with the blades on without it stalling?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

09-19-08, 03:21 PM   #3  
Yes I can, as long as it is in neutral. The problem only happens when the tractor is actually in motion.

TX

09-19-08, 08:14 PM   #4  
Can you post the model number from your riding mower. It should be located on a decal under the seat on most units.

Search this Thread