Question on a Lawnboy

Old 09-19-08, 10:47 AM
Question on a Lawnboy

I have a 2-stroke Lawn Boy that doesn't work. I've checked all of the simple problems I know of. Are there any problems that occur on Lawn Boys more than on other types of mowers? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what year it is, nor do I know the model number on it. I'm pretty sure that it is a 90's model.

-Nathan Theobald

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-08, 08:42 PM
Well you got to have Compression, Fuel and ignition to get it to run. Since it's a 2 cycle engine you also have to have a good seal in the crankcase, so check the top and bottom crankshaft seals. Most Lawnboy engines are also reed valve engines (you can tell this by where the carburetor is mounted, crankcase reed valve, cylinder ported design). Debris under a reed plate or a broken or missing reed will prevent an engine from starting.

Old 09-20-08, 06:54 PM
Make sure you have spark.. I've run into lots of lawnboys that need ignition modules.. Roger

Old 09-20-08, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nathan.Theobald View Post
I have a 2-stroke Lawn Boy that doesn't work. I've checked all of the simple problems I know of. Are there any problems that occur on Lawn Boys more than on other types of mowers? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what year it is, nor do I know the model number on it. I'm pretty sure that it is a 90's model.

-Nathan Theobald
what is the problem besides "it doesn't work"

will it not start does it backfire does it start then stall right away.

Old 09-22-08, 08:14 PM
It won't start. It sounds like it could be the compression, or a reed valve. I didn't know about either of those things. How much would it cost to fix those problems? (ballpark)

-Nathan

Old 09-22-08, 08:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Have you checked for spark at the plug?

Old 09-23-08, 01:22 PM
I haven't checked it, but I'm pretty sure I replaced it last year while I was working on it. I've forgotten what I have and haven't done, because I worked on it a little bit last year right after it stopped, and haven't touched it since.

Old 09-23-08, 09:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Even if it's brand new, it still may not be sparking if the mower's ignition system isn't functioning properly. You need to determine if you have spark or not to begin the diagnostic procedure. Otherwise you're just guessing at stuff.