Toro Mower Starter Rope Problem

Old 09-20-08, 08:38 AM
Toro Mower Starter Rope Problem

I have an older Toro mower, a rear-bagger, model# 26622, s/n# 24118. After the starter rope broke, I removed the recoil assembly to replace it. I turned the plastic spring assembly counter-clockwise with the intention of then sliding the starter rope into the tie hole and allowing it to then pull the rope in. The problem I am having is after making a couple revolutions of the spring assembly, it sounds as if it is slipping and I lose all tension. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 08:55 AM
Sounds like the spring is broken--time for a new recoil starter
avail. at your local Toro parts dealer...........

Old 09-20-08, 09:17 AM
Could be that the little hook on the end of the spring is not catching on the holder in the starter housing or reel, of course the spring may also be broken.

The springs are replaceable without having to replace the complete starter assembly. Your model indicates that you have a Suzuki built engine on your mower and the complete starter assembly may not be available for your engine any longer, but you should have no problem locating a recoil spring, if it needs replacement. (Update: Starter assembly still available $112.00)

The first thing you will need to do is remove the starter pulley from the starter assembly to inspect the spring. BE VERY CAREFUL the recoil spring can jump from the housing, wear protective eye wear and or gloves when you do this. You do not need to remove the spring just to have a look and see if it's broken (more then one piece).

Post back with your findings and we can proceed from there.