Chainsaw won't stay running

Old 09-20-08, 01:11 PM
Chainsaw won't stay running

Craftsman 16" chainsaw, fuel/oil ratio 40:1. Saw is 10 years old, used once or twice a season. Last used in spring to cut down several small trees. Today it won't stay running. Added drygas thinking it may be water in the fuel, seemed better at first but still not running. Was able to cut down a large tree, but now am bucking & limbing it and every 2-3 limbs it cuts out. Could it be bad gas? Same gas from earlier in the season. Could the gas/oil ratio be incorrect? any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 01:25 PM
Does it restart quickly or does it take a few pulls? Start with the fuel cap, then filter, then the fuel pump diaphragm. Loosen the cap when it acts up to see if that makes any difference.

Old 09-20-08, 01:47 PM
Sometimes it restarts quickly, mostly it takes a few pulls.

Actually, I was having trouble with the fuel cap, where it was very difficult to tighten back on by hand, and I had to use plyers to get it on. Cap was like this the last time I used the chainsaw and didn't have any problems. The cap was also tethered to the fuel tank, and that broke off recently, but I didn't think it should have an effect on the operation. What else would I be looking for on the fuel cap?? I will try loosening the cap slightly to see if that helps, LATER after my son is up from his nap...

Old 09-21-08, 08:25 AM
If you are using fuel from this past spring, that could very well be your problem. Fuel is usually good for about 8 weeks from the day purchased at the pump, after that enough volatile agents may have evaporated to cause problems.

Old 09-21-08, 08:27 AM
The fuel cap is vented. If the vent should become plugged the fuel becomes vacuum locked. The cap is where I would suggest starting.

Past that would be the filter and the fuel pump diaphragm in the carburetor.

Working on fuel issues is assuming you have a strong spark at the plug. It sounds more like fuel than ignition, though.

Old 09-21-08, 03:44 PM
I cleaned the air filter and dumped the fuel and added "fresher" fuel - I keep a 1-gallon 40:1 mixture for my weedwacker and blower and that is about 2 months old, if that. Ran better, but not perfect. I finished cutting, limbing and bucking the tree, so next time I use the chainsaw I will mix up a fresh batch of fuel and see how that goes. If still problematic I will replace the fuel cap and then check the fuel pump diaphram - I had to replace the diaphram in my craftsman gas edger after 1 year of use, so I know how to do that if need be.

Thanks for all your help!!

Old 09-21-08, 05:34 PM
How long since you changed the spark plug ???????????

Old 09-22-08, 08:56 AM
hmmmm. never. chainsaw is about 8 years old, not used regularly. I will pull the plug and inspect, but I guess it's a good idea to just replace it.

Search this Thread