Honda WX15

Old 09-20-08, 04:38 PM
Honda WX15

I work for an airline and we have this WX15 that is attached to a lav cart. The vendor that does our work said the engine was shot. I told them to let me look at it and the engine has sufficient compression, fire and fuel. I got it to start, but has a tremendous amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust and I put my hand behind it and was covered in oil. I'm thinking a ring job and check the valve clearance. Anything else anyone might suggest...

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 08:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's blowing that much smoke and oil drops, I'd think more than just ring job. Rings wear out gradually. Burning oil like that, the engine wouldn't have been able to run long enough to wear out the rings to that extent. It could be a broken ring, blown head gasket (if this is an OHV engine...not familiar with the model#). It could be a breather problem possibly, or just the oil level way too full or thinned with gas.

Old 09-21-08, 01:44 AM
I've never seen this engine either. I found that it is a 49cc engine. I will tear it apart today and update. Thanks for the fast response.

Old 09-21-08, 02:18 PM
Come to think of it...before I tear it apart, I put Mobile 1 synthetic oil in it. That could be too thin and why it's blowing oil out of the exhaust.....I should drain and put SAE30??

Old 09-22-08, 08:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What weight was it? It's worth trying, sounds like you're gonna have to drain it anyway...

Old 09-23-08, 11:27 AM
Group Moderator
I think your WX-15 has the GXH50 motor which is the smallest overhead valve engine Honda makes. My money is on a broken ring, but I'd pull the valve cover and make sure the breather is not rusted or stuck shut.

I have a WX-10 and several other pieces with the GX25 25cc motor and after the break-in period I run Mobil1 10W30 full synthetic without any problems. On racing Karts with larger 4 strokes I've run zero weight oil and there is no noticable increase in blow-by versus standard 10w30. You might notice an increased oil burn over a long period but nothing like blowing clouds of smoke.

Old 09-23-08, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the responses. I replaces the Mobile 1 with SAE30 and the smoke has decreased tremendously. When I run at half throttle it hardly smokes and no oil out of the exhaust. When I run at full throttle more smoke, but not like before. I am thinking about replacing rings as Pilot suggested. From what our maintenance dept. says in Denver, the engine is a factory rebuild and is only 2 years old. All parts look brand new. I believe our rampers were running it with the choke on all the time when they were dumping the lavs.

Old 09-23-08, 09:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep, sounds like a ring job is in order. I find that hondas take ring jobs really well. Using the choke all the time would have drastically reduced the ring's life by keeping the cylinder washed with gas instead of properly lubed with oil, and also causing way too much soot in the cylinder.