Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Devilbiss generator question

09-20-08, 04:54 PM   #1  
Devilbiss generator question

I inherited a Devilbiss GB 5000 generator, When I went to start it it started right up, but as soon as i tried to move the choke lever to "run" it wanted to die out. As long as it is in the full choke position it keeps running fine (I think?). I was able to get it almost to half choke but not any farther before it wanted to die on me. Can I run this on the choke position? Will it get messed up by doing that? Dose anyone know or have experience with this type of problem, if it is a problem. The thing looks pretty new, I don't know for sure how old it is.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-20-08, 08:07 PM   #2  
The carburetor needs cleaning. You can damage it by running it this way for long or under a load.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

OK

09-20-08, 08:53 PM   #3  
also check the fuel filter for clogging. but yes your carb is plugged in the run circuit

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

09-21-08, 04:33 AM   #4  
Hey thanks for the replies. The fuel tank was filled with, I,m guessing, $1.50 a gallon gas a.k.a. old gas, two years old for sure. I was hoping the gas was still good and that they had put some stabilizer in it. Should I dump the gas that's in there now or can I add stabilizer to it?

Group Moderator

NC

09-21-08, 04:59 AM   #5  
GET NEW GAS! Stabilizer can help slow the deterioration but it cannot bring it back from the dead.

Search this Thread