Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda mower - oil in cylinder

09-22-08, 03:30 PM   #1  
Honda mower - oil in cylinder

I put the mower on it's side to adjust cutting bar. When I righted mower, found I couldn't pull starter cord. Removed plug and found oil in cylinder. What do I do next???

Sponsored Links

09-22-08, 04:37 PM   #2  
pull the spark plug, stand back and pull the starter a couple times untill the oil stops spitting out of the plug hole. clean the plug an install. you may get alot of smoke out of the muffler but it will clear. next time, lean it back on the back wheels.

09-22-08, 04:53 PM   #3  
Honda Mower - oil in cylinder

Thanks flopshot for your quick response. I removed plug, pulled cord until oil stopped, replaced plug but no go! Removed plug and found plug wet w/oil. Pulled cord many times with same result - wet plug. Cylinder looks clean but still get residue on plug end. Will let stand w/ plug out for several hours and repeat process. Any other ideas? Motor will not even sputter!

TN

09-22-08, 05:38 PM   #4  
It will not start until you clear the cylinder of oil. Blow it out with compressed air or just keep pulling without the plug until the cylinder is clear.

This is actually a common problem.

09-22-08, 07:27 PM   #5  
I finally got it going!! After many failed attempts to get it going, I opened the air cleaner box. Lo and behold!! It was FULL of oil. Once I cleaned that up it started. So it was getting little or no air and what little air was getting through had atomized oil in it!!
Thanks for help and advice!! Much appreciated.

Search this Thread