Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Eating up battery's??

09-22-08, 06:21 PM   #1  
Eating up battery's??

After 3 battery's I need to find the problem. Have a 21HP Husqvarna riding mower and when I engage the blade the ampmeter will fall over to the negtive side, some were around 12.25 volts, falling from 12.50. After cutting for an hour or so the battery will be drained.

Some things I noticed - Take battery cable off (negtive) mower will shut down in 5 second. (blade disengaged of course) ........Some time when I first crank it the vote meter I have will show 13+ which I like but with in 10 to 15 seconds it fall back down to the votages of the battery. (12.40)

Maybe 3 things I'm thinking....regulator....alternator....diode(s)? Were are the diode located?

tractor model # YTH2148 (LO21H48F)
Briggs & Stratton-mod. 385777.... Type 0349 E1....code 04031911

Thanks up front..(1st. post)

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-22-08, 08:05 PM   #2  
I'm not looking at a parts diagram... does this engine have a regulator? If so, it should be an epoxy-filled square box bolted to the side of the engine, probably near the starter, with a few wires coming from it. If it has this, crank up the engine, let it run full throttle, unplug the red wire from the regulator and check the DC voltage at the red wire on the regulator. If none, or low, unplug the other pair of wires going to the regulator and check AC voltage on these at the connector coming from the engine.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

09-23-08, 04:37 PM   #3  
I agree with cheese, you have a problem with your charging system. Either the voltage requlator or the alternator. You should have a voltage requlator if you have an electric PTO, as you would need more amperage to maintain your battery with an electric PTO then the dual circuit systems supply.

09-27-08, 08:12 PM   #4  
Thanks for your input, glad it was the regulator over a alternator...working fine.....Just remember not to jump another battery with the engine running...if your battery is strong enought to crank your engine then it will crank another one without the chance of blowing a diode.

Search this Thread