Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

john deere 318

09-22-08, 07:10 PM   #1  
john deere 318

I have a john deere 318 that is overheating the ignition switch. I have to date put in two new ignition switches. The last time it overheated it melted off the wire insulation around the wire connectors. The tractor is just recently back from the dealer with a new voltage regulator amongst other small fixes. The dealer is giving me no viable information. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited by jon c; 09-22-08 at 07:11 PM. Reason: misspelling

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-22-08, 07:29 PM   #2  
I'm not sure if the electric pto draws it's power through the keyswitch on this one, but it likely does. If so, that would be the only device I can think of that would possibly draw enough amperage to melt wires (if the clutch is failing/overamping). A short elsewhere in the wiring is possible, but I would think it would have made itself known during the course of 2 burnt up ignition switches. I think I'd look into the clutch coil if I couldn't find a more obvious problem. I have a Deere LX176 at the shop now that is burning fuses during mowing due to a shorted, but still functioning pto clutch.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread