Toro 5.5HP Recycler - cable disattached from Throttle Lever

Old 09-23-08, 05:28 PM
Toro 5.5HP Recycler - cable disattached from Throttle Lever

I have a Toro 5.5 HP Recycler self-propelled lawn mower. It had become increasingly difficult to shift from Neutral into forward gears, and the other day the cable became disconnected from the lever. If I shine a flashlight into the tiny crevice in which the lever operates, I can see the end of the metal cable along the side of the trottle housing, but I don't see any type of cap at the end of the metal cable.

Can anyone please tell me if it is possible to open up the thin housing unit, and reattach the cable to the lever, or do I need to replace the entire unit. If it needs replacment, can you please give me some instructions on how to do it simply.

Many thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-08, 05:52 PM
I might be able to tell you, but I will need the model and serial number from your lawn mower to help.

Thanks

Old 09-24-08, 11:16 AM
Toro Recycler 5.5 HP - self propelled lawnmower

That's terrific. Thank you.

I'll check the Model & Serial #s and get back to you tomorrow.

Again, many thanks.

Old 09-25-08, 09:11 AM
Hi,

The Toro recycler is:

Model #20210
Serial # 1003566

Also, it on the engine is has "5.5 GTS"

Really appreciate your help.

Old 09-25-08, 09:20 AM
You will need to remove the belt cover to gain access to the transmission, there should be two bolts (3/8" head) one about midway from the engine to the rear of the cover and the other on the very back left hand side of the cover.

The cable is bolted to the back side of the transmission with a little clamp. The cable should have a "Z" bend in the end of it to attach to the lever on the transmission. The cable may have broken or the lever on the transmission could be broken, if all looks well just reinsert the cable from the top into the little hole in the lever on the transmission, then clamp the cable back to transmission. If either the cable or lever is broken then you will need to obtain the correct replacement parts in order to reattach the speed shift cable.

Old 09-25-08, 01:33 PM
Thank you very much, 30-year Tech, for your quick response and your excellent step-by-step instructions!! I will work on it tomorrow and let you know the outcome. If it turns out that the cable is disconnected only at the lever on the handle, would you know if that skinny, black plastic housing can be opened up or is it permanently sealed?

Meanwhile, I was wondering why there was so much resistance on the cable. Should the transmission be greased periodically, and/or lubricant be sprayed down the cable to help it to move easily?

Many thanks.

Old 09-25-08, 03:45 PM
FYI, free service manuals for you mower are available on the Toro website. A manual for the Power Mower Drive System is available.

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Old 09-25-08, 05:01 PM
I misunderstood where your cable came loose. If it came loose up at the top where the control is mounted in the dash panel, then you will have to replace the cable as they do not come apart for service. The cables generally get rust and corrosion along with dirt in the conduit, and this is what makes them so hard to shift. Follow the instructions I previously posted to reconnect your cable, but you will have to substitute a new shift cable for your old one....

Old 09-26-08, 01:51 PM
The lever and cable connection at the transmission seems fine, so it's definitely disconnected at the control lever. As you say, I'll have to buy the whole control and cable assembly. Do you have any suggestions as to where I can buy it cheaply?

I'll follow your directions for replacing the cable at the transmission. Thanks for the link to the Toro service manual.

Really appreciate your help.