Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

My Craftsman has problems

09-25-08, 04:59 AM   #1  
My Craftsman has problems

My Craftsman model No. 917.272751 will not start. I have adjusted the valves which allowed it to cut for 1 day. It then wouldn't start at all. I have replaced the Magneto, Alternator, Starter, plug, and Battery. As I stated before I adjusted the valves and got 1 good cut out of it. All it does is turn and turn and turn but never fires. I wind up with a flooded engine and my head banging against the wall. Please help me I am at wits end and if it's going to cost me more money then it's worth, I need to know because I am ready to buy a new John Deere. All input would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MI

09-25-08, 05:38 AM   #2  
maybe the valves came out of adjustment. do you have compression.

09-25-08, 06:29 AM   #3  
I have great compression but no fire. The plug is sparking when out.

TX

09-25-08, 08:41 AM   #4  
Posted By: iwillbhigh I have great compression but no fire. The plug is sparking when out.
The plug is sparking? This would indicate that you have fire!

If you indeed do NOT have spark, then try disconnecting the kill switch lead wire from the coil and recheck for spark. If it has spark then there is a problem in the safety interlock of the tractor. If no spark with switch disconnected, then may need a new ignition module.

09-25-08, 11:27 AM   #5  
What I meant to say was that it fires when out of the engine but that it obviously is not firing in the engine otherwise I wouldn't have a problem and the engine wouldn't be flooding.

TX

09-25-08, 12:17 PM   #6  
If you have spark when the plug is out of the engine, then chances are you have spark when the plug is in the engine. The best way to tell is with an inline spark tester.

Do you have the Walbro or Nikki carbuetor on your engine?

09-25-08, 07:14 PM   #7  
I have no idea which one I have, I will have to check and get back to ya. Could it all be carb related??? and if so why is it just now rearing it's ugly head after all of the other repairs that have been done????

TX

09-25-08, 07:45 PM   #8  
Posted By: iwillbhigh I have no idea which one I have, I will have to check and get back to ya. Could it all be carb related??? and if so why is it just now rearing it's ugly head after all of the other repairs that have been done????
I have no idea why all the other repairs were done. It's unusual to need a new magneto, alternator, starter and battery all at the same time.

While it could be carburetor related, I would tend to lean towards a problem with the valves, or I would also look at the flywheel key.

09-26-08, 07:45 AM   #9  
I needed a new battery, the magneto wire was burned through due to a cooling fin on the engine, i burnt the starter up before finally figuring out the valves were the problem and the alternator was for good measure. I checked and it is a nikki carb, what is the flywheel key??? Thats a new one to me, my flywheel is pretty pristine at this point for a 6 year old mower at least to my untrained eyes.LOL I have adjusted the valves to the .005 required at TDC they both drag on the feeler gauge and yet it still wont start. I am pulling my hair out!!!!!!!!!!!!

TX

09-26-08, 08:25 AM   #10  
The flywheel key times the flywheel to the crankshaft, and is worth looking at, if its sheared then the position of the magnets will not be correct, and the spark will occur at the wrong time.

Remove the bolt and washer holding down the flywheel and many times you can see the key way in the crankshaft and flywheel and see if it's line up or not.

09-26-08, 09:08 AM   #11  
It is all connected and lined up, no shearing of any type. I am just at a loss. when the engine is turning all it is doing is flooding. I mean I went from cutting grass to not starting in a heart beat. I turned it off after cutting tried to start it up a half hour later and it just would not start.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-27-08, 01:05 AM   #12  
How do you know it's flooding? If it is, then there is a carb problem.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread