Oil for mowers?

Old 09-11-08, 05:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil for mowers?

Do you have to get engine oil for lawn mowers ? Is there something in the oil that you get that would not be in a car engine oil can? Can i use either one? I got oil i put in my car 10w-30 wondering if i can just use that oil in my mower?

Old 09-11-08, 06:06 PM
Yes, the oil that is used in 4 cycle lawn mower engines is the same type that is used in automobiles. Just be sure to use the recommended viscosity (weight) oil for your particular engine.

Old 09-12-08, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
If this is for the briggs on the snapper engine, use SAE30 oil, rather than SAE10-30. The 10-30 will work, but unless you're using it in weather below 40 degrees, I'd go with 30.

Old 09-24-08, 12:45 PM
J
Just found this forum too late. Same type of problem/question.

Bought my PoulanPro mower (B&S Model 120000 Engine) used without a manual and changed the oil at the beginning of the season (10W30). Summers here in Jersey reach the 90 degree mark and just last week the mower stopped running. Bottom line, ran out of oil.

Friend told me to remove the spark plug, put straight 30 weight oil in the spark plug hole as well as the oil well and manually rotate the blade until it rotated smoothly. Replaced the plug and mower started. However, engine does not seem to reach full throttle speed.

Any suggestions to make this mower last for at least another 3-4 weeks to finish the season (a new mower will be purchased next spring)?

Old 09-24-08, 07:45 PM
The damage is done, no magic cure.

Just use it until it quits.

Be sure to keep the oil up to the full mark, it can go for a season or more like this, or it could give up the ghost tomorrow, no real way to tell.

Old 09-25-08, 06:47 AM
J
30yearTech,

Thanks for the response. I already know that a new mower is in my future for next season. Just wanted some extra input to see if maybe I might have missed something else.

Thanks, again.

Old 09-25-08, 08:49 AM
S
I know some people think oil is oil, but I beg to differ. Actually I demand to differ...... Oil touted as "4 cycle small engine" oil is specially formulated for small air cooled engines. Not many autos use air cooled engines, so don't use auto oil in the small engines.

For anything over 40 degrees (Ithink that's what B&S recommends) use 30 weight, but if it's colder then go with something like 5 or 10W30. The standard 30 will protect the engine in pretty much all climates, but might be a bit thick in colder weather. Later!

Old 09-25-08, 09:05 AM
Demand if you must, but engine oils are desinged for automotive applications and not small air cooled engines. While oil may be marketed for use on air cooled engines the truth is that if the service classification is acceptable for use in air cooled engines it will also work in most automotive engines as well.

Use a high quality detergent oil classified "For Service SF, SG, SH, SJ" or higher for small air cooled engines, most automotive oils will cover this classification.

Of course the choice is up to you, but you don't have to spend extra for oil that is marked as special for air cooled engines!

The higher operating temperatures of air cooled engines cause the oil to break down faster and this is why maintenance schedules call for more frequent oil changes on air cooled engines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: