Won't Stay running

Old 09-25-08, 06:58 AM
Won't Stay running

I have a 11hp Briggs on a OLD snapper rider. When you get it started it will run fine until you start mowing, you can get about 15 feet before it dies and it wont start back for about 30 min. i have cleaned the carb several times and changed the inline fuel filter. any suggestions on what is wrong with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-08, 08:28 AM
Model type and code numbers from the engine please.

Check and make sure the vent is open on the fuel tank cap, on Snapper rear engine riders the vent is manually operated. May also need to open the high speed adjustment a little (screw on bottom of carburetor)

Old 09-25-08, 11:40 AM
the model on the engine is 253707 type 0206 01 and code is 86092611. i tried to adjust the carb with what you said and it didn't help and the vent on the tank is open!!!! thanks again for the help

Old 09-25-08, 12:05 PM
When you cleaned your carburetor, did you remove the nozzle and low speed pickup?? (this would be the brass screw up inside where the bowl nut screws in, and directly on top is another brass screw that screws down into the nozzle)

Old 09-25-08, 12:22 PM
Yes i did, I took everyting out except the throttle shaft and choke shaft with the flappers due to not having a plug welch, and blew carb cleaner out every hole there was and tried to adjust it while it was running and it made no change. i also tried to pull the govenor open when it bogs down and had no luck on keeping it running.

Old 09-25-08, 12:28 PM
It sounds like a carburetor problem, did you set the float?

Old 09-25-08, 12:30 PM
i don't know, how do i do it?

Old 09-27-08, 01:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Out of curiosity, when the mower dies, have you checked for spark during those 30 minutes that it won't start? Could be a failing coil if not a carb problem.

Old 09-28-08, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by WildWillMorris View Post
i don't know, how do i do it?
Take the carburetor back off the engine, remove the float bowl and flip the carburetor over. If the float is pretty much level or slightly lower on the side opposite the inlet needle then it should be alright. If you need to adjust it, simply bend the tang on the float just above the inlet needle to obtain proper adjustment.

I also second cheese, check for spark when it dies as this could be the problem as well.

Old 09-29-08, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Out of curiosity, when the mower dies, have you checked for spark during those 30 minutes that it won't start? Could be a failing coil if not a carb problem.
i have pulled the spartk plug and it was pretty black but not bad put a new one in and S.O.S.

Old 09-29-08, 05:44 AM
well, i have ordered a carb kit, new air filter, new breather, and new hose that goes from the carb to side of block. now if this don't help i'm going for new wireing and armature. what do you think now?????// and thanks so much for all the advise and help to all of yall. GI2

Old 09-29-08, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by WildWillMorris View Post
well, i have ordered a carb kit, new air filter, new breather, and new hose that goes from the carb to side of block. now if this don't help i'm going for new wireing and armature. what do you think now?????// and thanks so much for all the advise and help to all of yall. GI2
While you have the breather off, check the clearances on your valves, particularly the intake. Make sure they are within specs, an intake valve with little or no clearance can cause the engine to run rich.

Old 09-29-08, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you check for spark?

It does sound like you have carb issues and/or valve issues, but if you determine spark, it will eliminate certain causes of your problem.