toro recycler

Old 09-25-08, 07:29 AM
toro recycler

someone dropped off a toro recycler mower. when i try to start it it catches the rope and yanks it back in(timing off) and you can hear something clanking but the blade is not hitting anything. he took it to a friend who replaced the flywheel key but it broke again within 3 weeks. now something is hitting in the engine but the blade is not hitting the frame. I can hear it hitting while pulling the rope.im not even pulling the rope very hard and without priming its catching the rope.im wondering if his friend messed something up. maybe he didn't install the key right or didn't tighten it enough. the mower is only 4 years old. its a toro recycler model 20017 serial 230124013 the engine is a 6.5 HP GTS(guaranteed to start) tecumseh engine. im going to tear into it but what should i look for.

Last edited by flirty1; 09-25-08 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-08, 07:58 AM
Ok i removed the blower housing and cylinder head. the key has sheered as it is firing on the upstroke. While turning it by hand i hear nothing hitting and im turning it kinda fast. any ideas. How do you remove the flywheel without a flywheel puller. i have a crowbar thats used for prying off car hubcaps. what causes it to sheer without hitting anything.the owner said it was hard to pull but it turns easy.

Old 09-25-08, 08:25 AM
The blade adapter is probably causing the flywheel key's to keep shearing. There is a key built into the blade hub that is bad and not holding the hub tight to the crankshaft. You will need to replace the blade adapter/hub to keep the flywheel keys from continuing to shear. Tecumseh has a flywheel puller for the flywheels, but I think you can also use a steering wheel puller. The holes in the flywheel are not taped, you can either use self tapping screws or tap threads into them, then pull it with a puller. If you pry up on it with a pry bar, you can crack the casting of the flywheel, so be careful.

Old 09-25-08, 08:44 AM
well i got the flywheel off. I re-installed the flywheel cup so i could pull the rope. with the sparkplug removed it spins freely and does not hit. with plug in disconnected from the wire something hits its a clanking sound almost plastic like.flywheel key was sheered and bent. so what could be causing the clanking hitting sound if i have to i can take a video.

Old 09-25-08, 08:50 AM
It's the blade hub, remove it and look inside, the key is sheared off and causing the noise you are hearing

Old 09-25-08, 09:33 AM
OK but the thing is with the sparkplug removed i don't hear the noise. only when i install the sparkplug that i hear the noise. heres a pick of the blade adapter

the key appears to be intact. heres a video with the hitting sound

http://img531.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0411jm2.flv

Old 09-25-08, 09:52 AM
In your video is the blade installed??

If it is, try it without the blade and blade adapter installed and see if it still makes the noise. The noise I could hear sounds like either the flywheel or the blade.

Did you install a new key on the flywheel and torque it down?

Looks like the drive pulley is broken off the blade adapter, so it's going to need a new one anyway. Make sure the spacer is in the bottom of the blade adapter, or the blade bolt will bottom before the blade is as tight as it needs to be.

Old 09-25-08, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
In your video is the blade installed??

If it is, try it without the blade and blade adapter installed and see if it still makes the noise. The noise I could hear sounds like either the flywheel or the blade.

Did you install a new key on the flywheel and torque it down?

Looks like the drive pulley is broken off the blade adapter, so it's going to need a new one anyway. Make sure the spacer is in the bottom of the blade adapter, or the blade bolt will bottom before the blade is as tight as it needs to be.
theres no flywheel installed(i removed it)just the starter cup. the blade and broken blade adapter are installed. I removed the blade adapter and installed the blade only it did not make the sound(after the video and after your post). the engine is model lev-120 spec 362003a. what is the torque for the flywheel( i need to buy a torque wrench).

Last edited by flirty1; 09-25-08 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-08, 10:15 AM
37.5 ft lbs is what I show for the flywheel on your engine, assuming it's an "LEV" and not an "LEX". I could not find anything on an "LEX" so I figured it was a typo...

Old 09-25-08, 10:23 AM
37.5 ft lbs is what I show for the flywheel on your engine, assuming it's an "LEV" and not an "LEX". I could not find anything on an "LEX" so I figured it was a typo...
lev-120 is correct it was a typo. i type fast. anyway looked up the flywheel key and the blade adapter total with shipping is 26.10 i found a dial type torque wrench for $15 would this wrench due http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...4UBIN&v=glance

Old 09-25-08, 12:19 PM
Yes, that torque wrench will work alright, but they are not extreemly acurate.

Old 09-25-08, 12:52 PM
Yes, that torque wrench will work alright, but they are not extreemly acurate.
what do you suggest. don't want to spend alot of money.

Old 09-25-08, 01:18 PM
The one you are looking at is good enough for mower blades and flywheels.

Old 10-01-08, 12:33 PM
ok got the new parts today installed and the mower works good now. thanks for the help.

Old 10-01-08, 02:27 PM
In the immortal words of Tony the Tiger "Thats Grrrreeeeaaaat"!