Honda HRM215 Transmission slipping

Old 09-27-08, 12:51 PM
Honda HRM215 Transmission slipping

13 year old HRM215 - Self-drive engages with rear wheels off the ground, but will not drive the wheels when on the ground. I know that's a pretty good indication, but is there a sure-fire method to know if the transmission needs to be replaced? Self-drive cable is adjusted as far as it will go.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-08, 09:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the transmission is probably fine, but the belt is likely to need replacement.

Old 09-28-08, 05:28 AM
Thanks Cheese, but...that's what I thought too. Should have mentioned that I just replace the drive belt, but the problem still exists as before. I'm not opposed to replacing the transmission, but want to be sure before putting $150 into 13 year old mower.

Old 09-28-08, 05:43 PM
Some of the older transmissions on Honda mowers have parts available for them, I would suspect the problem is in the clutch, if no parts are available and you feel the machine is worth the investment, then a new transmission could be installed, it's a little time consuming, but not all that difficult to do.

Model and S/N off mower would tell if transmission has parts available.

Old 09-28-08, 06:10 PM
I understand...but is there a way to tell for sure if the clutch is bad? Or if the transmission is bad? Is there a way to test either one?

Old 09-28-08, 06:35 PM
The only way that I know of is to disassemble the transmission and visually inspect the inside of the transmission to discover the problem. This is a moot point however if no parts are available.