Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Honda HRM215 Transmission slipping

09-27-08, 12:51 PM   #1  
Honda HRM215 Transmission slipping

13 year old HRM215 - Self-drive engages with rear wheels off the ground, but will not drive the wheels when on the ground. I know that's a pretty good indication, but is there a sure-fire method to know if the transmission needs to be replaced? Self-drive cable is adjusted as far as it will go.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-27-08, 09:20 PM   #2  
Sounds like the transmission is probably fine, but the belt is likely to need replacement.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-28-08, 05:28 AM   #3  
Thanks Cheese, but...that's what I thought too. Should have mentioned that I just replace the drive belt, but the problem still exists as before. I'm not opposed to replacing the transmission, but want to be sure before putting $150 into 13 year old mower.

TX

09-28-08, 05:43 PM   #4  
Some of the older transmissions on Honda mowers have parts available for them, I would suspect the problem is in the clutch, if no parts are available and you feel the machine is worth the investment, then a new transmission could be installed, it's a little time consuming, but not all that difficult to do.

Model and S/N off mower would tell if transmission has parts available.

09-28-08, 06:10 PM   #5  
I understand...but is there a way to tell for sure if the clutch is bad? Or if the transmission is bad? Is there a way to test either one?

TX

09-28-08, 06:35 PM   #6  
The only way that I know of is to disassemble the transmission and visually inspect the inside of the transmission to discover the problem. This is a moot point however if no parts are available.

Search this Thread