Riding mower battery discharges

Old 09-28-08, 02:00 PM
Riding mower battery discharges

I have a John Deere riding mower (model Scotts 1642H). I have to recharge the battery every time I want to use it. I've installed a new battery and it did not fix the problem. Once it is recharged and started, it works perfectly. If I turn if off for any reason and for any length of time, it has to be recharged again. Any information on how to fix the problem would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 02:19 PM
Would you post the engine brand model/spec/type/code numbers.

Old 09-28-08, 05:41 PM
Go down about a dozen or so posts twinoaks and you will see my problem - titled-Eating Up Battery's

Old 09-29-08, 04:03 PM
More info on engine and problem.

Thank you both for your responses. The engine is a Kohler, Family = SKH426U162RB; Model = CV165; Spec = 43526.

I don't know enough about engines to understand how my problem is similar to the one where the engine dies after being started. Once charged/jumped, my engine runs for as long as I like but then has to be charged/jumped again even if turned off only briefly. Do you know of a website that would have a diagram of the battery, diod, alternator layout for a riding mower and description of how to test each?

I've tried finding one online, with no luck so far.

Old 09-29-08, 05:16 PM
The link below is to a service manual for Kohler Command CV11-16, CV460-465, CV490-495. Section 8 gives details of how to troubleshoot the electrical system.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/.../tp_2339_d.pdf

Post back what you find and good luck.

Airman