Ariens 915007 EZR1648 Stalling

Old 09-28-08, 04:51 PM
Ariens 915007 EZR1648 Stalling

I have a 10 yr old Ariens model 915007, with a B&S 16 HP Vanguard v-twin. Engine is Model 303777, Type 1142-A1, Code 92121211.

The engine started stalling when I had been mowing for about 1.5 hours. It will idle fine but if PTO activated, or moved at any speed, it bogs down and stalls.

I had gotten gas at only place available, (thanks Ike), and staions tanks were low-so I thught bad gas. I pulled filter and found a small "leaf". New filter, drained cleaned out tank. Stalled---New air filter,checked plugs, (good), cleaned carb, runs about 30 minutes, warms, and stalls.
Decided to adjust valves, of course changed oil and filter--cranks great, valves not far out, but it still stalls.

Going insane, ---any ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks
Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-08, 05:19 PM
I would look at the carburetor as a possible source of your problem. Also check to make sure all mounting bolts for carburetor and intake manifold are good and tight.

Old 10-02-08, 01:16 PM
Sorry so long to respond, I've tried the suggested tips.

Everything on carb seems tight, cleaned carb exterior of 10+ years of grime. Lubed springs, pivot points, no noticable issues. Still idles, high or low rev, but can't move or activate PTO.

Could this be somehow related to clutch / bearing at jackshaft, or am I on the wrong track?....

Thanks again for any advice

Chris

Old 10-02-08, 02:22 PM
Dirt on the exterior of the carburetor will rarely have any effect on operation. Your going to have to go a little deeper in the carburetor to find your problem. Remove the float bowl and take a look inside and see if there is any dirt, water or build up.

Old 10-02-08, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Dirt on the exterior of the carburetor will rarely have any effect on operation. Your going to have to go a little deeper in the carburetor to find your problem. Remove the float bowl and take a look inside and see if there is any dirt, water or build up.

Thanks, I'll see what I can find...

Old 10-03-08, 01:21 PM
You say it runs about 30 mins, then stalls. Next time it stalls, imediately pull the plug(s)& check for spark. Sounds like maybe the coil is heating up.

Old 10-04-08, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by 30yearTech View Post
Pulled float and bowl, clean----but broke wire off bottom where jet is in bottom of bowl....

Off to the parts place before they close!!

I'll check if it could be coil heating....

Thanks
Chris

Old 10-04-08, 07:44 AM
If the coil is heating up and you are loosing spark, then the engine would not idle.

Old 10-04-08, 09:09 AM
Bowl and float are clean, but a small crack is in bowl just above where adjustment screw hole enters at bottom.

(Took picture to attach but cant since I have no hosting site at which to place it)

Could an 1/8" crack in bowl heat and open and cause such an issue, or is this just incedental?

Thanks
Chris

Old 10-04-08, 09:27 PM
I don't think a small crack in the float bowl would have any affect on the carburetor operation, although fuel may leak out of it. It sounds like the engine is running very lean and when a load is applied it causes the engine to stall. Try pulling the choke out a little and see if it will pull a load better this way, if it does, then I think something is up with the carburetor, or a possible air leak.

Old 10-25-08, 12:24 PM
I've worked and can now mow fine, except, ...when the mower is on a lean to its left (towards fuel line) it tries to stall (pop & smoke), and will eventually stop.

On a good note, when it runs, it is stronger than it has been in years.

I wonder how i might fine tune carb & I don't know which screws does what. One screw in side of bowl, One (phillips)screw to right on top of carb(idle?), One (flat) on center of carb, One which appears to be closest to engine in black plastic clip.

Which adjusts what?

Thanks
Chris

Old 10-27-08, 06:21 AM
The only mixture adjustment on this carburetor is the one with the plastic cap, and it's an idle mixture. Make sure the wire that plugs into the solenoid at the bottom of the carburetor is not rubbing up against something and grounding out when you are on an incline. Perhaps the solenoid is loosing power and cutting the fuel supply off.

Old 04-12-09, 10:17 AM
I now have mower running, deck belt (07208100) broke, replaced with belt -Ariens specific- now mower is chewing belt up rapidly. Seems simple enough, tension from large spring on pulley in middle, but belt is slightly loose and "flops" around.
Is there some type of adjustment for the tension pulley?
Thanks for any help.

Old 04-12-09, 04:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the arm that the tensioner pulley is on and verify that it actually is moving far enough to tighten the belt.