Bagging mower doesn't seem to "bag" correctly after blade change

Old 10-01-08, 11:55 AM
Bagging mower doesn't seem to "bag" correctly after blade change

I have a Craftsman self propelled push mower with a bag. Before I changed my mower blade I had about 5-6 bags after mowing my grass, now it's barely 1 1/2 bags.

What could be the problem? I thought it may be the wrong type of blade but a local mower shop said that probably wouldn't be the case...so I'm kind've lost.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-08, 12:07 PM
Does the new blade look exactly like the old one? If the new one is a mulching blade or one of the new "super chopper upper" type blades like a Gator blade, you may be reducing the size of the clippings dramatically along with depositing extra fine clippings back on your lawn. Sounds like you had a GOOD thing happen if the lawn still looks ok after it's cut.

Old 10-01-08, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by bontai Joe View Post
Does the new blade look exactly like the old one? If the new one is a mulching blade or one of the new "super chopper upper" type blades like a Gator blade, you may be reducing the size of the clippings dramatically along with depositing extra fine clippings back on your lawn. Sounds like you had a GOOD thing happen if the lawn still looks ok after it's cut.
In terms of labor, it's GREAT!

The problem however is that I living in Bixby, Oklahoma (just outside of Tulsa). Our soil type is sandy. Mix that with our weather and it's a perfect recipe for "stickers" (every child's worse yard nightmare). We bag to prevent further spread of these torturing weeds from nature. Up until my blade change we've had a pretty good control of the spread. But now it's like they have spread all across our yard with a vengeance.

I'm afraid that since my mower isn't bagging as much that it's just dispersing the seeds as I mow :-(.

I believe it was a mulching blade...do I need a "standard" blade or something?

Thanks!!
Paul

Old 10-01-08, 12:23 PM
There is a difference between a blade designed for mulching and one for bagging. The bagging blades are generally pretty much straight and sharpened only about 2 - 3 inches on each end with a substantial pitch on the back side opposite the sharpened side for lift. Mulching blades have some curve to them and are sharpened further towards the center and have very little pitch and do not provide much if any lift. There are combination blades that can do both jobs but not as good as a blade designed for the specific application. If you want good bagging performance, you need to be sure that you have a bagging blade installed.

Old 10-01-08, 05:38 PM
lift wing length and height has alot to do with bagging. also, you would not be the first to install a blade upside down.
although it would cut you would not see the airflow needed to bag properly.

Old 10-01-08, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by flopshot View Post
lift wing length and height has alot to do with bagging. also, you would not be the first to install a blade upside down.
although it would cut you would not see the airflow needed to bag properly.
Haha, well, this could certainly be the case...I'll double check tomorrow.

Thanks
Paul