snowblower : poulan sno pro 10.5

Old 10-01-08, 06:59 PM
snowblower : poulan sno pro 10.5

ANY BODY HAVE ANY VIEWS ON THE POLAN SNOWTHROWER. iT IS BEING ADVERTISED AT$999. WITH A TECUMSEH L HEAD ENGINE.
wHO MAKES THESE BLOWERS.

i AM BETWEEN THIS AND AN ARIENS OR SIMPLICITY

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-08, 07:06 PM
Don't see many (any) snow blowers around these parts, but I imagine the Poulan Pro units are made by their parent company Husqvarna, and are much the same as units sold by Sears.

If it's anything like the rest of their outdoor power products, it's fairly decent quality, pretty much middle of the road equipment. I would expect the Ariens to be somewhat higher quality. I am equating this based on the other outdoor products in their lines, as I have absolutely no experience with snow blowers.

Old 10-02-08, 08:13 PM
As stated it is a middle of the road product. Parent company is electrolux. Ariens and Simpicity are better machines although the Ariens in HD are of less quality of what you can find at a dealer although the dealers reluctantly will carry the lower end models but always have a better made machine for slightly more. Whereas these machines are always used when cold and wet, rust is an issue and inferior metal rusts quicker. Look for grease fittings on the augers and wheels. Cheaper machines will have plastic gears on the drive system, avoid these. IMHO before I would spend a grand on a new middle of the road machine I would look at local dealers for a low hour used machine that you can buy for a grand that was a $1700 or $1800 machine new. If you compare you will see the difference. The dealer will stand behind what he sells whether used or new.

Old 10-04-08, 07:13 AM
Poulan snowblowers are a decent deal for the money. It depends on how much $$$ you want to spend, how much snow you get and how often you get snow. Yes, Ariens is a better machine. $999 for Poulan or $1899 for Ariens. I don't know where you are, but here in New Hampshire our snowblowing season is 4 months long.
Next question is why do you want a 10.5 hp snowblower?
Misconception is that a bigger HP machine will throw the snow further. NOT TRUE!! The feds have mandated that anything that spins(mower blades, snowblower augers & impellers) can only spin so fast (about3000 rpm). That being said, an 8hp will throw snow just as far as a 10hp. I have an 8hp MTD snowblower, my neighbor has 5hp White (made by MTD) snowblower and they both throw snow the same distance. Also, the 10HP will use more gas than an 8hp.
The 10.5 you are looking at has a 30" cut. Poulan has an 8.5 27" cut for $100 less. The 10.5 has power steering, the 8 does not. Depends on your needs.