Sears Craftsman 42" Mower Lawn Tractor Steering Problem

Old 10-16-11, 09:38 AM
Cheese

I have replaced 17 and 27 (it had no clips and no shims), I have play between the two? Do I have to remove some material from 19 in order to get the sector gear closer to the pinion? This is a very loose fit between them.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-11, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You replaced 17 and 27 only? 19 and 66 are still the old parts? If so, re-read this thread from the beginning. Look at the diagram for your mower. If there are no clips and no shims, you are missing parts and like I said, you'd be better off time and money wise to buy the whole assembly. You will pay more for the parts than you will for the whole thing.

Remove material from a part? No.

Old 10-16-11, 12:57 PM
Hi all, After having to replace the steering column and the sector gear (turning the Steering Wheel to the Left made the gears chatter while going straight), here are some notes to help you through this easier. After taking off the steering wheel cap, steering wheel, plastic bezel and shaft extension (post's on this procedure) I found it much easier to remove the deck from the tractor, I then remove the drag link nut #40 from the drag link #23. This made it so much easier to see what to do and gave full visual access to everything. I removed the (4) bolts from under the frame to remove the #25 "Bracket, Steering". Now the whole assembly can be removed for bench work. This is much nicer to work on the bench than trying to work on the tractor while laying in the dirt. I replaced #17 "Shaft Assembly, Steering", #27 "Gear, Sector", #19 "Support, Shaft, #66 Bearing Arm Pittman. If nothing else REPLACE these parts on the bench and all will good to go. If you DO NOTYou'll have to install the bench assembly with the (4) bolts from underneath, then re-install all the parts you had taken off in reverse order.

Old 10-16-11, 01:01 PM
Your right Cheese, but I didn't know that the whole assembly was available at that time and ordered individual parts. I have since order the 19 & 66 because of a very big gap between the secotr and pinion.

Thanks for the help

Old 11-14-11, 04:28 PM
Steering Link (ball joint type)

I've looked at athe manual but can't see the the link (maybe the drag linik) which turns the wheels. Can you give a part number

Thanks in Advance
Poppy Jo

Old 02-05-12, 03:01 PM
Model 917.259573 steering issue

I have a Model 917 ... 573. ABout 3 years ago while mowing misjudged a turn and caught the foundation of the hous with the left front wheel.

Since then I can turn really far to the right but the left is restricted. I am thining it may either be #27 Gear sector or #17 Shaft... but I really think it just skipped a few gears and I need to re-align the gears. If I want to pull #17 out of the gear sector #27 - how hard is that and is it worth the tie - should I just do the steering kit #62 and get it over with?

Does the engine need to come off to get to this?

Old 02-05-12, 07:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the gears skipped, it wouldn't change anything except the steering wheel wouldn't be centered while going straight anymore. Sounds to me like you bent something. Are the wheels splayed out when you steer it straight?

Old 02-09-12, 05:45 AM
Wheels seem ok - its like it will turn much farther to the right then the left - so much of my mowing now is all right turns.... would like to have it centered again

Old 02-09-12, 09:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Something got bent. I don't know what. Probably the front axle. Doing the repair covered in this thread won't fix your problem.

Old 02-09-12, 01:58 PM
I almost feel like the gear sector and the shaft ASM jumped a few splines on the Gear Sector. thus shifting the full left vs full right...?

Old 02-09-12, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it were able to jump those splines, it would be stripped out now and not steering. They are fine splines and I never have in over 20 years of working on them, seen that part strip or "jump splines". Something is bent.

Old 02-09-12, 07:51 PM
Cheese,
Could you move this to a new thread, this one is 4yrs old and a lot of the people won't look at it because of the age, number of pages and topic changes. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-16-12, 07:22 PM
Just did this on my Craftsman tractor 917270711 and it was a breeze. (so to speak) The only play i have now is in the front axle. There's a little front to back play but that might be the way it supposed to be not sure...Thank's for all the help and helpfull info....

Old 04-16-12, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great, glad you found some useful info!

Old 03-22-14, 11:13 AM
How to get steering shaft out

My tractor is 917.257660, and I think it is a 1992-94 model. I have all the parts coming to replace the steering mechanism, but I can't figure out how to get the steering shaft out. I suspect I may have to disassemble the entire mower, right?