Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

MTD transaxle I.D.

IN

10-02-08, 06:29 AM   #1  
MTD transaxle I.D.

I picked up an MTD mower and some parts last weekend. I got an MTD transaxle that I have questions about. The model # is 618-0307c that shows it was off a Troy-bilt. I looked it up and it has been replaced by the # 918-0551a. It says it is a single speed transaxle. Is that the same as a hydrostat? I looked on Ebay but didn't see any. I saw on Craigslists that a couple of people were looking for this trans. but I have no idea what it would be worth. It is still mounted with the rear tires, so it does roll. How can I tell if it is good? I found a lever that when I pull it, the trans. stops like it is the brake.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-03-08, 12:08 AM   #2  
No, it's not a hydro. It's a regular gear transaxle. The only way to be sure it's good is to put it to use. Otherwise, you can guess by pulling/pushing that lever and turn the input pulley to see if it drives a wheel in the pushed-in position and the pulled-out position.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

MA

10-03-08, 11:50 AM   #3  
I have a 618-0163 single speed that I have had on CL a couple of times for $100 and got no bites. It lists for $460. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread