Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stihl HT 101 and 100 Problems

10-06-08, 06:35 AM   #1  
Stihl HT 101 and 100 Problems

Hey guys. First time user and I've got a question for ya'll. I have a HT101 and HT 100 engine that both seem to have the same problem and seeing as how they're practically the same engine, maybe I can kill 2 birds with one stone. With the attachment on, the engine starts up just fine but runs VERY erratically. The second I pull the trigger, it's fine. Then it loses power and basically idles even though the trigger is still held down. I can rev it and it sounds fine, but again if the trigger is held down it loses power. Also, once I release the trigger the engine dies. I've torn the engines down completely and can't see any visible problems. Both engines are pretty new and were maybe used a month each so all filters and the spark arrester are still clean. The pickup body is also practically new. I can say for certain that there are no fuel leaks and that the pistons don't have any scorring damage. I'm stumped. I'm new to mechanics so maybe I'm just missing something obvious to you professionals who actually know what you're doing. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

TX

10-06-08, 06:06 PM   #2  
The carburetor is very possibly the culprit here. It sounds like your not getting enough fuel. Could be a stiff metering diaphragm, plugged filter screen, bad high speed check valve, or old stale fuel causing this problem. A dirty or restricted fuel pickup filter in the tank or a small leak in a fuel hose can also cause this.

10-07-08, 09:15 AM   #3  
I actually tore down both carbeurators and here's what I found. One had a peice of excess Dirko lodged in the intake nozzle. I removed it but the problem still persists. The other had a small peice of debris that wouldn't allow the primer needle? to completely seal. I haven't had time to test the engine but I was able to check the compression and it's fine. One of the older employees told me that he thought someone ran straight gasoline through the engines, but nothing I've found so far supports that. I still at a loss with the first engine, but I have hope for the second. Out of curiousity, what sypmtoms would show if the ignition module was faulty? Thanks.

TX

10-07-08, 02:15 PM   #4  
If your ignition module is not working, you will not get any spark, or it may spark when it's cool and quit when the engine warms up.

Search this Thread