Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn mower blowing out smoke and oil

VA

10-06-08, 07:46 AM   #1  
Lawn mower blowing out smoke and oil

2 cycle gas mower. Checked to make sure oil is full and gas is full.

I started the mower and it was "struggling", meaning that it would run normally for a few seconds then slow down for a second, then pick back up. This happened in a predictable rhythm (3 seconds normal, 1 second slow down, 3 seconds normal, 1 second slow, etc.)

So I shut it off thinking that a restart might do the trick, same thing but this time more smoke than usual started blowing out of that silver cylindrical thingy with holes in it.

So after a while I turned if off and turned it over. The blade wasn't spinning too freely but I'm not sure if it's always been that way or if the difficulty in movement is new which is causing the engine to overwork. Moreover I didn't see any way to loosen the blade.

So I started it again and a ton of smoke started flying out of the aforementioned silver thingy like a car when it's about to catch on fire so I shut it off and noticed that some oil had spluttered out below where the smoke poured out.

any ideas?

TIA,

-MC

Sponsored Links

MI

10-06-08, 11:57 AM   #2  
if it has a seperate oil and gas then its a 4 cycle not a 2cycle. can you post the brand of the mower and the engine model numbers off it. that siverthing with holes is the muffler.sounds like you might have blown a gasket.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-06-08, 10:40 PM   #3  
The smoke pouring out is oil burning that got dumped into the carburetor and probably the air filter when you tipped the mower over. You'll probably need a new air filter, and run the mower until the smoke clears. The original problem sounds like the carburetor needs a little cleaning. The blade will be hard to turn because when you release the handle, the blade brake engages, and makes it stop quickly. It's normal.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

10-07-08, 12:37 PM   #4  
Briggs & Stratton
22" push mower
500 series
158 cc 5.00 ft lbs gross torque 3060 rpm
Family 7BSXS.1581VG 277301

That's everything on the mower, and Cheese, that's a very thorough analysis, thank you

I'm sure I can buy an air filter but let's hope I can figure out how to clean the carburetor (or even find it for that matter)

MI

10-07-08, 11:41 PM   #5  
is this your engine http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eng...ils.aspx?pid=9

the carb is under the air filter which is the ironing board shaped thing on the right hand side of the mower when standing behind it. this is a very simple carb to rebuild. all you need to do is clean and replace the diaphragm ($5 part).i'll let cheese explain it step by step sense hes better at giving instructions.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-08-08, 01:11 AM   #6  
Ok, on that particular engine, the surging problem could just be a clogged air filter. The air filter is in the "ironing board" shaped cover that flirty1 mentioned. Take the screw out, take out the foam filter and if it looks dirty at the bottom, wash it with warm soapy water, dry well, and then saturate it with oil and wring it out so that it has a slightly oily film in it, then reinstall. If this doesn't fix the problem, you probably will need to remove the carburetor and replace the mentioned diaphragm. Not a hard job at all and should be easy for even a beginner with basic mechanical ability.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

10-08-08, 06:42 AM   #7  
That is my engine and I am very mechanically inclined so I'm thinking this is an easy job.

I'll try it today and post the results. I would like to confirm that in the "saturate it with oil" step, I should use mower oil as opposed to cooking oil (cheaper)

TX

10-08-08, 10:41 AM   #8  
Posted By: MichaelChang That is my engine and I am very mechanically inclined so I'm thinking this is an easy job.

I'll try it today and post the results. I would like to confirm that in the "saturate it with oil" step, I should use mower oil as opposed to cooking oil (cheaper)
Yes, you will need to use clean fresh motor oil, it only takes about an ounce or so, work it in real good and squeeze the excess out. It's the oil in the filter that traps the dirt, if you don't have oil in the foam, it's like not having a filter at all.

VA

10-09-08, 10:23 AM   #9  
I just mowed the grass, mower is good as new, here's exactly what I did:

1. Thoroughly clean the air filter with soap and warm water.
2. Let the filter dry.
2. Put about an ounce of motor oil on the filter and squeeze it in my hand a few times to ensure the filter is completely covered with oil but any excess oil is squeezed out.

You fellas just saved me $165 on a new mower

One more question, since the shed was mercifully torn down I've been putting a tarp over the mower engine to keep the rain out. Is this step necessary? It's kind of a PITA to keep unwraping/rewrapping with each mow?

TIA,

-MC

TX

10-09-08, 11:18 AM   #10  
Thats kind of a double edged sword... Keeping it out of the rain is good, but if it's stored on grass or dirt, then moisture will collect under the tarp during the day when the sun shines on it. It then kind of gets a steam bath every day, which is not good either. A small cover that allows air around the mower but keeps rain off would work better, unless it's parked on concrete then the tarp would be alright.

Search this Thread