John Deere 116 engine won't crank

Old 10-07-08, 03:48 PM
John Deere 116 engine won't crank

when I turn the key and try to start my JD116 I get a click and the engine does not turn over. The battery is fully charged.

The symptoms preceding this failure when tractor used to run were upon starting there was a slight pause when I turned the key on but it always turned over the engine and started but now it pauses and won't do anything further.

Can someone please shed some light on this problem please?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-08, 04:05 PM
check for 12v at the solenoid with the key turned to the start position. the solenoid could be bad.

Old 10-07-08, 04:07 PM
How do i check the solenoid?

Originally Posted by crazycory22 View Post
check for 12v at the solenoid with the key turned to the start position. the solenoid could be bad.
How do I go about checking the solenoid? I'm just a beginner at this..

Old 10-08-08, 01:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To start with, we really should have engine brand and numbers so we know what we're dealing with. Sounds to me like a valve problem, maybe, given the prior symptoms, but that depends on what engine you have. Could also be a lot of other things.

Old 10-08-08, 03:19 PM
John Deere 116 won't crank engine

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
To start with, we really should have engine brand and numbers so we know what we're dealing with. Sounds to me like a valve problem, maybe, given the prior symptoms, but that depends on what engine you have. Could also be a lot of other things.
OK, Here is the info: Briggs & Stratton Engine, type 0148, Model 402702, Code 84101512.

Old 10-08-08, 03:32 PM
You should have your battery load tested to make sure it's good. It can read 12 volts but not deliver any amperage to the starter.

You should start by checking all the electrical connections from the battery to ground and to the starter solenoid and from solenoid to the starter. They should all be clean and tight.

You can by pass the solenoid by using a screwdriver to jump the top posts on the solenoid and see if the starter will engage and spin the engine over. If that works but the solenoid only "clicks" when the key is used, then that is a good indication that the solenoid is bad.

If jumping the solenoid does not cause the engine to spin, then the engine may be locked up and not turning, (try turning the engine by hand to see if it will move) or the starter may be frozen or just no good, and of course the battery could be bad.