Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman 5.3hp Just Died...

10-09-08, 06:42 AM   #1  
Craftsman 5.3hp Just Died...

Hello once again folks!
I've got this great Craftsman II 5.3 HP Eager 1, model # 917373680 and I posted once before about it not running for long and Cheese helped me out.
Now, I have another problem. I was cutting the lawn and heard a very quiet kink and then it just stopped. It doesn't want to start again and there is no resistance. I can just spin the blade real easily like there was no compression.
What could this be? Can anyone help me out?
Thanks so much and may God bless you all for helping others out!
Pete

Sponsored Links

MO

10-09-08, 08:30 AM   #2  
Pull the head and see if the piston and valves are moving as you rotate the engine. It could be a lot of things, however none that I can think of are good. Have a good one. Geo

PA

10-09-08, 08:55 AM   #3  
If you can spin the blade with no resistance (I hope you did that with the spark plug wire OFF the plug!), then you have no compression. Hopefully it's a valve hung open, but more likely a busted connecting rod on the piston. Gonna have to remove the head to see what's moving and what's not.

TX

10-09-08, 09:38 AM   #4  
Does not sound good, but then who knows. I agree with the previous posters, you will need to take a look and see if the piston and valves are moving properly, and go from there. Post back with your discoveries.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-10-08, 09:38 PM   #5  
Yep, sounds like the engine lived up to it's name. I'm sure by your description and my experience with Tec engines, it broke a connecting rod, but you can stick a straw or pencil in the spark plug hole until you hit the piston, then turn the engine and see/feel if the straw moves. If not, the piston is not moving, which translates into broken rod.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-11-08, 04:02 AM   #6  
Is a broken rod easily replaced or isn't it worth it?

TX

10-11-08, 05:31 AM   #7  
Posted By: alamal Is a broken rod easily replaced or isn't it worth it?
It's not all that difficult to replace a rod, but you will need a couple of tools, such as an inch pound torque wrench and a piston ring compressor. You will also need to determine if this is your problem and if so, to what extent is the engine damaged.

You may get by with a new rod and some gaskets, or depending upon the damage may not be worth it, you won't know till the engine is taken down and inspected.

Search this Thread