Replacing Chute assembly on Sno Blower

Old 10-09-08, 07:44 AM
Replacing Chute assembly on Sno Blower

I have a Craftsman 9 HP, 28 inch, Model#536.887990. The chute assembly is made of plastic, if we get a snow ice mixture, the chute takes a beating and the plastic eventually tears. I'm wondering if I could replace with a metal chute assembly. In the past 5 years I've replaced the plastic one 5 times, at $26.00 a pop, it's expensive. Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks
Gregory

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-08, 11:35 AM
Which part tears & where does it tear?

Old 10-09-08, 11:52 AM
Greg, unfortuneatly I believe you are out of luck on getting a metal chute. Most manufactures have gone to plastic chutes becuase they are cheaper to make & lighter. Ariens & Toro MAY still make snowblowers with metal chutes, but then comes the question of retro-fitting it to your Murray made snowblower.
How handy are you? Can you buy a sheet of sheet metal and attatch to the inside of the chute? Know anyone who does heating duct work? Some one who does metal duct work can shape it to fit the inside of the chute if you bring them the chute.

Old 10-11-08, 11:16 AM
chute assembly

It usually starts to tear where the chute bolts to the machine,it's connected with 4 nuts and bolts,I tried putting on washers to spread the force and not put to much pressure on the plastic, but to no avail. The snow ice mixture we get in Northeast is so damned heavy, the plastic cannot take the beating.
Greg

Old 10-11-08, 06:41 PM
All these machines have their problems--my toro has a nice steel chute-but, I have to replace the blades & skid every 2
years @ $60 a [email protected] $26 buy 2 & relax for a few years......
I just got my old Toro S-200 running again--blades go 15 years- skid about 10 years & I will use it !!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-03-08, 05:24 AM
i have the same machine
the plastic retainer that holds the chute breaks
i have been looking online
and the john deere trs 24 and up series snow thrower seems to be made from murray and looks like the craftsman but it has a metal retainer instead of plastic, the worm gear is steal instead of plastic and wraps around the rod,i have to do more research on this
the chute on mine is metal and is heavy
i can't understand why they made a plastic retainer to hold up a heavy metal chute
i,m still looking for an engine for my craftsman