Toro 416-H Battery Drains when sitting

Old 10-09-08, 10:02 AM
Question Toro 416-H Battery Drains when sitting

Toro Power Plus model 416-H lawn tractor

Engine: Onan (I think) 16 HP opposed twin #P216G-I/109760

The battery drains when the machine sits. New battery. The alternator is putting out voltage when tested but the voltage guage does not work. The problem is intermittent. Would the voltage regulator cause the battery to drain? Can the voltage regulator be tested? I told a friend about you guys and this is his mower and that's what he told me. He has no internet so thought I would try to help him out.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-08, 11:25 AM
I am not real keen on Onan, but I don't think the voltage regulator would be causing this. Most of these units operate the charging system through the key switch, so it should be isolated when the key is turned to the off position, unless the switch is not working properly.

I could possibly tell more by having a look at the wiring diagram on this mower. If you can find and post the model and serial number off the tractor (not 416-H), there should be a decal somewhere on the tractor with a model number/serial number designation.

Old 10-09-08, 12:01 PM
The model number of the tractor is #73421
The seriel number is #3900439

I just talked to my buddy and he said that sometimes the battery will drain down within hours and other times it takes a few days. He said he has the wiring diagram for it and that it does have a coil, but said that a bad coil will cause weak spark. He says it has been driving him nuts.

Just for reference. I bought a 1993 JD 318 that would die out like you turned the key off, but then would start back up again. The dealer I bought it from first replaced a sensor under the flywheel where he said it gets hot and they go bad. The engine had to be pulled out to get to it. It continued to die out. They came out to the farm and replaced the coil. Fixed the problem. The tractor also has an Onan engine, but I think its a 14 HP.

Old 10-09-08, 05:03 PM
Did you go home for the day?

Old 10-09-08, 05:20 PM
https://homeownersolutions.toro.com/...214&PageID=459

You can use the link above to look at parts diagrams and download service info from Toro on your unit. I would check the key switch to make sure it is operating properly, I would also test for any voltage draw on the battery with everything turned off. The engine manual available at the link above, gives testing procedures for the charging system.

Old 10-10-08, 08:11 AM
Not real good with the meter. How do you check for voltage draw and can you check at different points to find out where the draw is coming from?

Old 10-10-08, 09:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One of the easiest ways I have found to check for voltage drains is to disconnect a battery cable, connect a 12v test light between the battery and cable, and if it lights up even a little with the key turned off and everything turned off, there is a drain. Then, unplug different components and wires until you find the thing that makes the light turn off. When you find that, you will either have the component that is bad or be on the correct path for finding the problem (pinched wire, etc...).

I haven't looked up that engine or tractor, but if it has an automotive style coil and points (used on old engines from the early '80s and earlier), check to be sure the power is off to the coil. It could be that the power is on, and when the engine shuts off and the points happen to be closed, it would drain the battery... but when the engine shuts off with the points open, it wouldn't drain it. If that engine doesn't have points, this won't apply.

Old 10-11-08, 05:45 AM
That's an excellent suggestion that cheese made, I never thought of using a test light, I have always used a voltage meter.

The unit you listed shows to have solid state ignition, but I believe it's battery excited.

Old 10-11-08, 09:10 AM
Good deal Cheese. Will go to my buddy's place and give it a whirl today and see what happens. Thanks for the tips. I did go to the Toro site and found some testing methods there too. Will let you know what I find.

Old 10-11-08, 12:10 PM
Did what you said, but used a meter - had no test light and didn't have time to make one. Found 12.4 volts with the key off. Disconnected the starter cable and found a drop of voltage to 4.6 V so could either be the selenoid or the starter. The key switch checked out ok. Maybe there is still a draw somethere though.