Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

5 hp briggs and straton engine dies

10-09-08, 07:56 PM   #1  
5 hp briggs and straton engine dies

I have a briggs and straton engine that is on a compressor and when the compressor has ran for a few minutes it wont stay running

Sponsored Links

TX

10-10-08, 05:21 AM   #2  
There are many possibilities, but the first thing I would do, is to check for ignition spark immediately after it first dies. If it's loosing spark then the ignition module may be the problem.

Please post model type and code numbers, so we can better help with suggestions.

Thanks

10-10-08, 08:28 AM   #3  
thanks where do I find the codes? also the engine runs great but when the compressor gets built up on air pressure 100Psi it bogs down and then the engine dies after a few minutes. like the engine doesnt like being under a load,

IA

10-10-08, 11:00 AM   #4  
If the engine is working well under 100 psi and starts to act up after that point, there's a good chance the problem in in the air pressure regulator/compressor, where the kickoff for the compressor isn't working.

As long as the pressure is under 100 psi (as in when you're using it) does the engine continue running? What do you have the kickoff for the pressure regulator set at?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-10-08, 08:55 PM   #5  
Also, is this a home-built unit, or store bought? If the engine drive pulley is too large, the drive ratio may be too high and causing the engine to operate out of it's power range and die under the load when it should be able to cruise right along.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

10-14-08, 11:19 AM   #6  
seems to die after a while even if the pressure is way below the 1oo

Search this Thread