Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ryoibi 720r String Trimmer Won't Start

10-11-08, 11:11 AM   #1  
Ryoibi 720r String Trimmer Won't Start

I have owned the Ryobi 720r string trimmer for about 15 years and it has always been excellent in starting and running well. Just recently it started giving me trouble starting. I dismanteled the carborator completely and blew out all the orfices and it seemed to help - was hard to start but was able to run. It worked for about 1 month and then the same thing happened. This time I took the carborator apart again including the floating needle valve that is attached to a spring type lever (I had missed this last time). I also took out the spark plug, checked the gap and dried it off. When I use starting fluid (ether), it runs for about 3 seconds but won't run on the fuel. It's got a spark and I assume compession so my guess is something is wrong with the carborator.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Sponsored Links

MO

10-11-08, 01:36 PM   #2  
I would suggest checking/replacing the fuel lines and in tank filter, also check for a cracked/leaking primer bulb. Have a good one. Geo

10-23-08, 03:58 PM   #3  
Connect Fuel Line

My Fuel line broke on my Ryobi 725 string trimmer and I purchased a new filter and line assembly but I now if fuel form the filter goes to the top or bottom of the carburator. Can you help me?

10-23-08, 04:02 PM   #4  
The primer bulb is ok , Ihave the manual but it dosen't show how to connect fuel lines

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

10-23-08, 08:14 PM   #5  
Did you install a kit in the carb when you had it apart? Did you install the diaphragm right side up?

I believe the fuel line with the filter will go to the fitting nearest to the side of the carb with 1 or 2 screws holding the cover on (depending on the carb brand), not the side with 4 screws.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SC

10-26-08, 02:32 AM   #6  
I had a similar problem with a Weedeater blower. Turned out to be a compression problem. Don't recall the exact details; but I think it was leaking compression both where crankshaft was connected to the impeller, and where carburetor connected to engine. I ended up buying a new one due to cost to repair.

Search this Thread